Chapter 3: Let's Play Crash Into Kylie... No.

Start from the beginning

How did... What was going on? I walked out the closet, closing the door and looked insides the compartments of the dresser. I was glad to find the clothes I had when I was at my mother's house. I wasn't ready to wear those types of clothes quite yet.

I opened the other door, found a two-way hallway. I walked out and looked to the left, only one brown door stared back at me. Then I looked to the right where there was a black and elegant staircase.

I walked down the circling black staircase that had beautifully craved flowers on its shiny paint and stepped onto the white tiled floor. I walked through a large and wonderful living room, then a dining room, and a kitchen. A few mysterious closed doors were around but I didn't peer into them. In the kitchen, I found my father sitting at the table reading a newspaper. He glanced up at me and gave me a small smile.

I returned the favor before sitting in front of him, at the wooden and expensive looking table.

"Where are we?"

"Chicago, Illinois." He replied. 

What? He lived that close to Iowa? I signed and ranked a hand through my messy hair. After a long and strange silence I asked, "What day is it?"

"Saturday." He answered without looking up from his newspaper.

So I was sleep the whole drive and night here? I signed again and fidgeted with my fingers. What else was there to say? What else was there to do?

I pushed the chair back and stood. "Is there anything to eat?"

He shook his head and said, "No, my wife just left out to go grocery shopping. Knowing her, she won't be back for a while. But there is a few restaurants in town so you can go out and find something to eat."

I stared at him. His wife? He was married? Why did I feel so saddened and kind of angry? So, he got a wife and was living happily in a nice house with a good amount of money. And? He deserved to be happy, I guess.

"Okay. Could you suggest one?"

"There's one not to far from here. McDonald's." He said, turning the page of the newspaper.

I was walking out the kitchen but remembered my manners.

"Do you want anything?"

He shook his head and then titled his head as if thinking about it. "Just a large fry."

Again, I turned to walk until his voice stopped me. "You don't have any money, Katherine."

I turned to see him going into his pocket and pulling out his wallet. He pushed over a twenty-dollar bill before picking back up his newspaper and stuffing the thick wallet back in his pocket. My cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

I took the twenty and raced back up the stairs and into my room. I looked in the dresser from something to wear before shrugging. I yanked out some old basketball shorts that were way too big for me and came halfway up from my ankles and a black hoodie that went with it. I found out quickly that the only door to the left of my room was the bathroom.

After a quick shower, I went back into my room and stared at me messy and out of control hair.

I signed in annoyance. What was I going to do about the mess? Finally, I just put it in a ponytail and then put on a black hat. I threw on my only black pair of sneakers before putting the twenty in my shorts pockets with my iPhone.

I shoved my headphones in my ears, turning on some music to block out any noises. I jogged outside, the humid air hitting me in the face. The wind was cold though, refreshing. The air smelled fresh and like trees.