Chapter 5

HANNAH / GERARD

– Shoot – Gerard answered as he sat down.

– I won't be able to take care of Cyprus, well, what is left of him – she looked down at her hands.

Gerard licked his lips. The robot had stopped working. He could see she was very upset for that.

– So, I was wondering if you could keep him here until I earn enough money – Hannah finally looked up.

Gerard relaxed somehow. It wasn't as important as he imagined, and if the robot stayed there, it meant she had to come back.

Why was he thinking about that?

– Yeah, I'll take care of him, don't worry – He saw a thankful smile plastered on her face and couldn't help but to smirk too.

But one thing was running through his mind, so he decided to solve his doubt.

– Uh, if it isn't a secret, where are you going? – he didn't want to sound like a blob, but he was curious.

Hannah played with her t-shirt. She didn't like what she was going to do, but she needed the money. Urgently.

– I've accepted a job as a model – after she said it, a sharp silence filled the room.

Gerard kept his eyes on her. How could she do that? He thought she was different from the other girls. She seemed so connected with her robot that he thought...It didn't matter.

He leaned back in his chair and looked down at his feet.

He was disappointed. A lot.

– I'll bring Cyprus now if you don't have any problem, I need to leave tomorrow – Hannah stood up, hoping he'd be okay with it.

– Uh, yeah, I'll wait you here – Hannah left the workshop and made her way to the hut.

She breathed deeply as she opened the door to see Cyprus sitting there, in the same spot as she left him.

One thing that made her feel sad was that Gerard seemed disappointed with her decision.

And why was she thinking about Gerard's opinion? Maybe because he had tried to help her, not like the other mechanics of that stupid city.

She carried Cyprus as she could to Gerard's workshop and placed the robot next to a pile of engines.

– Thank you, again – she smiled and looked for the last time at her robot, at his lifeless face.

– No problem – Gerard replied, looking at the floor.

– I-I have to go if I want to be ready – Hannah said, but for sure she didn't want to leave that place.

– Good luck – The man wished, even when he was disappointed with what she was going to do.

HANNAH

The woman left the workshop and made her way to the place she had called home for most of her life.

It was time to prepare everything so the next morning she could leave.

She opened the door to find everything in calm. She turned on the lights. Probably Jamia was already sleeping.

Hannah walked and looked into her sister's bedroom to find that she was sleeping, yes, but with company. Frank lay next to her, hugging Jamia from behind.

Hannah rolled her eyes and went to her own room, took her wasted bag and started putting things in it. In really, she was going to miss that place.

~»~

When she ended up with everything, she climbed the wooden stairs to her bed and fell asleep almost immediately. Her last night in her bed.

Oh, how she was going to miss her life.

GERARD

Gerard closed the workshop and went straight to bed; he didn't even bother in taking off his clothes. He wasn't in the mood for anything.

~»~

Opening his eyes, he wondered if it all had been a dream or if it had been true. There was just a way to know it. He jumped out of bed and practically ran out of his room and into the workshop.

As much as he wanted it to be a dream, there it was, the robot Hannah had left the night before, sitting on the dusted floor. Gerard ran a hand through his messy brown hair as he licked his bottom lip.

Why did he bother so much about that?

HANNAH

Sitting down on bed, Hannah did realized that she had to go. She sighed and climbed down the wooden stairs. She took her bag and left it on the kitchen's floor as she came in.

– Good morning – Jamia said from her seat next to Frank.

Hannah just looked at her with no emotions and took the cereals from the cupboard. The couple looked at each other and frowned.

– Is something wrong? – the minor sister asked.

– Everything – Hannah groaned as she sat down.

Frank looked at the wasted bag that was on the floor and so did Jamia.

– You don't have to go if you don't want to – she reassured, but those weren't the correct words, because her sister sent daggers in her direction.

– It's the only way I can repair Cyprus – she said after swallowing her cereals.

– Grow up – Jamia groaned.

Hannah slammed her hand on the table, making Jamia and Frank jump a little in their places.

– I'm so freaking tired of you telling me to grow up and forget about robots! So now listen, and listen well, because I'm not repeating it. I like robots as much as you like your fucking fashion shows and as much as you like make up, even when I hate it. Have I ever told you to stop doing what you like? No! Freaking no! So if I don't ask you what you think, don't ever say it again – the eldest sister growled, then took the bag and stormed out of the house.

Jamia and Frank were left there, wide eyes and their hearts beating like wild horses. For sure they didn't expect that.

Hannah brushed her hair as she made her way to the big bright building. The people in the street staring at her because she forgot to put on her sunglasses.

As soon as she put one of her dusted converse on the clean building floor she knew her life had changed forever.