One: Tragedy Hits

LUKE

A crash. A once in a blue moon tragedy.

The chances of being a passenger on a crashed plane has a less chance than winning the national lottery.

Yet it happened to us. It's happening right now, as I half listen to the TV report. A major plane crash over the Pacific Ocean and my parents were on that plane.

It's something you witness in a movie yet they always seem to survive the impossible, defy death at the last second. Except this isn't a Hollywood movie, this is real. Terrifyingly real.

I feel my neck become damp, I realise silent salty tears are pouring out, down my face. I make the mistake of turning my head to see my three brothers reacting in more or less the same way. Our little sisters are on a week long summer school trip.

I feel a huge weight compressing on my heart, a deep sadness that I've never experienced. I feel numb to everything else besides this heart wrenching moment and above all I am fearful. I am fearful for the future. This kind of fear does does not go away.

A help line flashes up on the screen alerting anyone who had friends or relatives to get in touch urgently.

My brothers look at me, and I silently nod, knowing it's my duty to do so, no matter how painful it might be on the other line. With shaking and clammy hands, I dig deep into my jean pocket and take out my phone, jabbing in the number.

I sit down, collapsing into one of the couches, looking heavily into the distance.

They put me on hold. Some dumb music is played, as if that's going to put my mind at ease. Well, it's not. The wait is cruel.

I wish I could put the phone down to comfort my kid brother, Harry has his hands buried in his face as Leo wraps an arm around him. Tom just looks cold. And fearful. Tom thinks he's invincible and doesn't know the meaning of fear. I think that's been instilled in him tonight, in the most brutal manner.

The music stops and my heart plummets. Suddenly, I wish for the music to carry on, to be my safety of time stopping. I don't want the harsh reality just yet.

"Good evening, it's Kristina. How can I help you?" A tired voice fills the second of empty silence.

"I'm enquiring about the plane crash. My-my parents are on that plane," I stumble on my words, my voice thick with emotion.

"Please can I have their full names and dates of birth?" She remains calm and neutral, yet with kindness.

"Annie Jane Walker, 04/02/1970 and Craig James Walker, 09/08/1968," my heart pounds against my chest, rhythmic, yet unnerving.

A pause and I hear muffled keys on a laptop flying. Another pause.

Leo glances at me and I shake my head. This isn't good. The outcome will never be good. This is it.

"I am really sorry to confirm this, but their bodies were retrieved and identified as Mr and Mrs Walker. They were pronounced dead at the scene alongside many others."

I cut the line and emotion washes over me as I cry into my hands. I don't even have to say it, my brothers know. They look crestfallen.

Our worlds crash down in one ordinary evening. Tom slammed his fist on the table, while Harry and Leo were sobbing with their heads in their hands on the armchairs.

I walked out of the room and howled. I haven't cried since I was twelve. But I've never experienced this gut wrenching loss, the steps into the unknown.