Chapter 15: Mistakes Are Made

{Chara}
The Core was beautiful. Glowing, pulsating, steaming, almost alive. The sheet metal covering the walls shone and sparkled. My shoes made a shuffling sound on the soft blue carpet. Wow. Traveling in style. This is so much easier than taking the long way out of the city.
Asriel's eyes were glowing just as mine were, and he put his hand (paw??) out to feel the steam. He immediately retracted,
"Ow..that's pretty hot.." He said.
"Are you alright?"
"Yeah, just a small shock."
"Hey, Az, I have an idea."
"Yeah, Chara?"
"Why don't we play hide and seek here! Then we can go home right after. Mom'll never know we left, and we get to explore the place!"
His eyes lit up and he nodded. "Alright then, you count first!" I said, slowly backing away as her turned around and started from 100.
I ran through the hallways, passing a place where ice cubes were falling into and melting in the steaminess of the Core below me. I listened to the sound of the solid ice fizzling out and melting behind me as I ran.
A little later I heard sounds in the distance. People talking. People walking on the metal parts of the floor.
"The kinks haven't been fully worked out yet, but this place is still pretty high tech for this age." A hoity-toity voice, smart sounding. The Royal Scientist?
"Ooh, cool." A flat, sarcastic voice that I would recognize anywhere. Sans.
I looked around the corner. There they were. Sans, Papyrus, another dude I don't recognize. Okay, okay, don't freak out. I'm gonna surprise them. I started following them, slowly, quietly, so I was just behind them and they didn't hear me.
I followed them all the way to Hotland, where they turned and took the long way back to Snowdin, through waterfall, and I kept going straight to the boatman.
"Hello. I am the Boatman. Or am I the Boatwoman? I enjoy riding in my boat. Would you care to join me? Tra La La." The Boatman said.
"Yes, can you take me to Snowdin please?" I asked politely.
   "Beware the man who speaks in hands." He said.
  My head jerked up from looking down at the water. Didn't he say that the last time? Doesn't he say anything different? The man who speaks in hands?
The Boatman stopped at the cold edge of Snowdin, and I wish now that I'd brought a better sweater. I heard my brothers' voices from a few yards away. How'd they get here so fast?
I heard a metal door slam shut, and the voices stopped. I walked around the Librar(b)y and walked down to an old wooden house, and I, felt something warm inside me. This was the place. I walked around the side of the house until I reached the back. A pair of metal doors were inlaid in the snowy ground. Bad choice of door material for this climate.
I now realize how uncoordinated this plan was. What am I supposed to say?
Will Sans even answer?
What if they're in the house and I'm knocking on the wrong door?
Ah, whatever.
I knocked on the metal door, which made a loud clanging sound and now my knuckles are frozen. Oh boy.
I waited a second, and was about to leave when the door creaked open.
"Hello? I-" Sans' voice cut off.
I turned around and looked at him. His eyes were wide.
"Sans?"
   He jumped out of the metal door and picked me up off the ground, spinning in circles, snow crunching and is laughing.
  "Sans!" I yelled after he put me down.
  "Chara!" He yelled
  "Chara?" A dude's face appeared over the side of the metal door, wait. Is that......Aster?
  "Aster?" I asked.
  "PAPYRUS!" Pap jumped from the metal door as well, arms in the air. I couldn't help smiling after that.
   Sans slipped his hand in mine. I pulled him along to the mysterious door, and looked in, seeing a white tiled floor. I let go of Sans' hand and jumped in behind Aster.
   "Come in, then, I guess....?" He said.
   "Whoa. It's like a mini lab!"
   "That's exactly what it is." I could almost hear Aster rolling his eyes.
  "So, you're the Royal Scientist!" I said.
  "Yes." He said flatly.
  "Some greeting, Chara." Sans jumped into the lab and smiled crookedly at me.
   I looked over at a machine covered by a big tarp. My eyes were suddenly drawn to the red button on the side. It was small, but a brilliant crimson that was extremely noticeable.
  "Please don't go near that, it's extremely..." Aster trailed off talking about some complicating science stuff I don't care about.
  I sat on the floor, watching Papyrus intently listen to Aster, and Sans plopped down beside me.
   I sat there with my eyes closed for what seemed like hours, days, weeks, just taking in the presence of my brothers. I don't even care how Aster got down here. I opened my eyes again, and looked over almost immediately at the red button on the side of the machine.
    My fingers vibrated just looking at it. Why are red buttons so.....tempting?
   My finger lingered near it, and my finger just touched the smooth surface as Aster yelled,
  "No, WAIT!" He held his hand out to stop me, but I had pressed the button already.
  Big Mistake Number Two.
  The machine started to glow and rattle. The tarp was sucked off it, and pulled into the center of the machine, making a wooshing sound.
   Aster started to glow, a strange white light emanating from the machine. He looked down at his his hands, and......smiled? He looked up at me, his face starting to melt into an odd position.
"Wel-l....I -gu-es-s th-a-t's it...then?" His voice sounded like a broken-down sound system, glitching out and changing pitch.
His body shrunk in a millisecond, then split into a million pieces with a loud *BANG* and a flash of light that blinded me.
I opened my eyes to smoke around the room, coming from the machine, which was lying on its side on the ground. My vision was blurry, and I felt a hand pull me up to me feet and then out into the snow.
Sans pushed me hard, and I fell into the snow.
"WHAT THE HELL?!" He yelled. My vision had returned to normal, and the blue in his eyes seemed to be....glowing? Almost pulsating with power...
"Wh-"
"WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PRESS THAT STUPID DAMN BUTTON?!?!"
"But, Sans-"
"NO! NO! NOT ANYMORE! I JUST GOT HIM BACK AGAIN, I DON'T KNOW CRAP ABOUT THIS FRICKIN PLACE WITHOUT HIM, I DON'T CARE HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN GONE, HE'S BEEN GONE LONGER! NOW HE'S GONE FOREVER, AND IT'S YOUR FAULT!! IT'S YOUR FAULT I'M STUCK DOWN HERE, IT'S YOUR FAULT I CAN'T GO HOME, I-I....." He fell to his knees in the snow. Papyrus looked almost scared behind his younger brother.
"S-sans I-"
"Go to hell."
"S...sans..."
"Go to hell. Get out of my life. I can't believe I ever cared this much about you. You can't even listen to one single direction from your own brother. Why the hell did I ever save you in the first place?"
"....FINE THEN!! I'LL LEAVE! Just....just know I never said I....." I screamed and started running.
It was freezing out but I didn't care. I don't care anymore. Tears streamed down my face and froze just as the boatman left Snowdin.

Let the darkness engulf you
Let it eat out your heart
Destroy you from the inside out.
Once you let it, nothing can hurt you.

But it's still not over

It never seems to be anymore.