Chapter Fourty: Part Two: KRVM

Day Two: Day In The Sun

Kallum’s POV:

We’d been on the beach all morning. I could stay out here forever. I thought about maybe just skipping adulthood altogether and moving to Fiji but as Megan reminded me my parents would kill me. I liked Megan. She wasn’t like the other girls on the trip. She was the most level headed one of them all. I couldn’t help myself from watching her. I knew she was talking to Sean but I couldn’t see that working. He was going off to the Marines and she would be alone… 

                ‘No she wouldn’t. You would be there.’ My conscious said. I had to agree with its logic. I would be there. We would go to movies and check out art exhibits. We would go for coffee and talk about the economy. I would accompany her to her social events as her date… keeping the not so bright lug heads clear while charming her with my ever evolving wit. I could see myself asking her to be my girlfriend… and her saying yes. She wouldn’t hurt me like the others. She wouldn’t make me hate the female species. She would understand me and my way of thinking… she already does. I watched her under the cover of my shades as she played football with the others. I was so concentrated on her I didn’t hear Bryant’s warning… but I felt the impact of the ball as it smashed into the side of my face.

                “OH MY GOD KALLUM!” Vivian screamed as she ran towards me. It felt like my eardrums were about to implode or something. I felt her take my shades off and turn my head to the side. There was a high pitched ringing accompanied by an acute throbbing in my left ear.

                “Vi go to the hotel tell them what happened. Get the hotel doctor to meet us on the veranda.” Megan said. I felt when Vivian left and Megan appeared.

                “Okay there is some blood but not a lot. I’m going to have Micah and McClane help you stand. Your equilibrium will be off so prepare yourself. If it gets to be too much close your eyes to try to find your center.” She said. I felt her caressing my skin with her fingertips and I could have sworn I felt better already… that is until I tried to move and everything went crazy. I felt when I was lifted off my blanket. It was like I was in a snow globe or something. Next time I would pay more attention to the game instead of the bounce of Megan’s bikini top.

                “If you can lay him here.” Said the doctor when we made it to the veranda. Laying me down I watched as they moved aside and let the doctor work.

                “Come on Megan.” Micah said motioning for her to follow. Shaking her head she looked down at me. Her eyes were green orbs of worry.

                “She’s not gonna leave him. She’s a mama hen when it comes to people getting hurt. She won’t leave until the doctor says everything is alright.” McClane said over his shoulder. I was relieved to hear him say that. I kind of wanted to tell the doctor to lie to her so she’d stay for the rest of the trip.

                “It’s not busted but it’s irritated. I’m going to inject some medication into your ear drum to ease the pain and then we’ll have you take these pills to help with the swelling. I suggest you pack your things on the beach because I’m sending you straight to bed young man.” Said the doctor pulling out the biggest needle ever created. Megan must have seen my face because she came to kneel beside me.

                “Hey look at me… its okay. We’ll order some room service and a movie and I’ll keep you company okay?” She said stroking my arm. She was leaning over smashing her… ‘girls’ together creating the perfect display of cleavage known to man. I forgot about the needle, the pain, the doctor, everything. All I saw was her.