Chapter Thirty Two: DJ

Declan's POV:

I was standing on the sidelines with Vivian who had now taken off her shoes and placed them on the table behind us. She was still grooving to the music just with a drink in her hand. McClane was being sandwiched by Megan and Ginger on the dance floor as Sean and Ferris sandwiched Julia. Linking her arm with mine Vivian lay her head on my shoulder.

                “I’m glad to see you came. I was worried you wouldn’t show up.” She said over the music. Looking down at her I smile. She looked beautiful tonight. Her silver corset with her flowing skirts made her look like she belonged on the catwalks of Milan not at her high school prom.

                “Well I’m glad I came too. I would have missed seeing you.” I said. She began to smile then turned her head away. Leaning over I tried to catch her eye.

                “What’s wrong?” Shaking her head she placed her drink on the table and started to pull me onto the dance floor. Pulling back I waited for her to look at me.

                “It’s nothing… really Declan.” She said still not meeting my eyes. I stood there until she finally looked at me.

                “Now tell me what’s going on.” Sighing she looked around to make sure no one was too close before she stepped closer to me.

                “I’m just sad that I’ll never get the chance to be your girlfriend. You’ll never look at me and think I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I knew I didn’t have a chance with your brother… even though I obsessed over him for years I just knew we weren’t meant to be. Then I thought maybe I’d have a chance with you but… I know I don’t and it’s kind of bumming me out that’s all.” To say Vivian had just blown my mind would be an understatement. I would have never thought she’d had a crush on McClane let alone me.

                “Why don’t you think you have a chance with me?” I asked curious. Looking behind her she sighed again.

                “Because you haven’t stop staring at him since you came off the dance floor. He’s been watching too you know. I know when two people want each other and can’t be with one another. I may not be the smartest girl in the bunch but I’m not that stupid… and don’t worry. I’m happy you’ve found him. This world is cold and mean when you’re alone. It’s nice to have someone to lean on when you need it.” It felt like I was seeing Vivian for the first time. She stood there watching McClane as he danced on without notice of what was going on.

                “You’d be good for him… he’s crazy but too smart for his own good. You’re stable and he’ll love being your teacher… It’ll make him feel needed.” I said. Looking to me she smiled softly.

                “Really… you think we’d be good together?” Nodding I wrapped my arm around her shoulders then pulled her onto the dance floor. The sadness that had been on her face that minute disappeared when I swung her around. She started laughing so hard her face turned a light pink. The sound of her laughter caught McClane’s attention in an instant. She was trying to hold on to me as I swung her around off the floor. She looked to be in pure happiness that moment. Placing her on her feet I looked to McClane who was staring at her with shining eyes. I waited until his eyes flickered to me before I gave him a meaningful stare. Nodding McClane opened his arms and I pulled Vivian close.

                “Thank me later.” I said before pecking her on the lips. Twirling her around I sent her straight into McClane’s arms. When she realized whose arms she was in she went from a light pink to a scarlet red.