Chapter Eight: Micah

One week later

Micah's POV:

When I went to fifth period Mrs. Zune called me over and told me I'd have a new partner. That Declan had been transferred out and someone else would be filling his spot. I turned around to see Freddy from the AV club sitting in Declan's seat. It felt like I'd been hit with a swinging brick wall.

 'He transferred out... is he that scared that I'd hurt him?' Taking my seat next to Freddy I was left feeling empty. Now the best period of the day had turned into the worst period of my life. When the bell rang I hurried to get away before Freddy started talking about more AV crap that I didn't give a shit about. After hitting my locker I hightailed it outside to search the parking lot. By the time I spotted Declan's car he was already driving away.

  "Fuck..." I mumbled to self. Taking a seat on the stairs I let everyone pass me by. I sat there remembering the day I'd had. I hadn't seen him but once today. That was in fourth period and all I got was a glimpse of him walking in. I couldn't turn to look at him like I wanted to. And it would be impossible now since he'd moved his seat completely to the back of the room. No more side ward glances and peeks.

At lunch his table sat empty. He didn't even come into the cafeteria to eat. I thought maybe I'd be able to talk to him during our tutor lesson. I was a good boy and kept the furniture where it was. I sat there waiting like a puppy waiting for it's master. I almost thought he wasn't coming until I heard the knob turning. I'd plastered a grin on my face only to have it fall to the floor when Megan walked in.

 "Hi... I'm Megan. I'll be taking over for Declan. He's already brought me up to speed on where you left off so let's get started." I couldn't believe this. It was like he was trying to erase me from his life or something. I sat there not listening to Megan as she explained the chapters to me. When she asked if I'd understood I told her yes. Instead of an hour of bliss I had to endure an hour of cruel and unusual punishment. When I saw Sean again he took one look at me and took hold of my arm.

 "This way." He said pulling me through the crowded hallways. We made it to the stairwell that led to the basement storage rooms. Once we found an unlocked room he pushed the door open for me and I entered. Taking a seat on one of the tables he closed the door and turned to face me.

 "What's wrong?" I didn't look at him at first. I wasn't sure when I started tearing up but when Sean brushed a few away I realized I was crying.
 "He hates me." I whispered. For the longest time we sat there in silence, me crying over a guy and Sean watching me cry. After I'd gotten that out my system I proceeded to tell him about my crappy day so far. How Declan pawned me off on Megan. How she wouldn't answer any of my questions about him.

 He told me that I'd still have lunch and fifth period with him. That I didn't have to panic. Needless to say when we saw nothing of Declan in the lunch room I started to panic again. I was clinging to the hope that he'd been there for fifth period. So when I spotted Freddy from AV my heart literally broke into pieces.

Now school was over and I sat on the steps holding the broken pieces of my heart in my hands when Sean and Bryant found me. Taking a seat on either side of me they didn't say anything. Looking to Sean I felt a new batch of tears coming on.

 "I talked to Laurie." Bryant said. Both Sean and I turned to him. He was staring out at the parking lot where the other students lingered.
 "He's afraid to get hurt. He's afraid that he'll end up like Todd that's why he's doing everything he can to stay away from you." Well that didn't comfort me at all. There was no way in hell I could ever confuse Declan with Todd. Declan would never do to me what Todd did.