Chapter 7: Survivors

The car quietly rumbled down the street, Geo guiding it close to the side walk. A few residents closed their shutters as the trio passed. Some of the houses had boarded up windows and what not to keep scavengers and the sick out. Quarantine was not a concern to others who had their doors open as if welcoming guests to a dinner party.

"I can't believe that idiot wants to move everyone," Drexel grumbled in the back seat. Geo sat casually in his seat, one hand on the wheel. His other arm was propped up on the open window, his head resting on his hand.

"If he thinks it's the safer option, then we should try it. There are too many lives at stake to be fooling around."

Geo's face was serious, his eyebrows furrowed. It was not one that Bexley had seen and she wasn't sure she liked it. Geo slammed on the breaks, putting an arm in front of Bexley stopping her from going forward. Drexel almost came flying forward but braced himself with the seats. They looked around.

"What happened? Why did you do that?" Bexley questioned as Geo pointed to a truck in the middle of the road. A group of scavengers surrounded it, rocking it back and forth or running into it, slamming their fists on the tough metal. "Keenan was right, they're coming out earlier and earlier," Bexley said. Geo grabbed a pair of goggles and looked into the truck. A woman sat in the driver's seat, her eyes wide open and motionless. Suddenly all the scavengers rushed to a house. They started banging on the doors and windows, demanding entrance to the house.

"Somebody must be trapped inside." Geo grabbed his pistol with a silencer.

"You aren't seriously going out there are you?" Drexel asked.

Geo put ammunition in the gun before staring Drexel down. He continued to have that same serious look which they would have to get used to in these types of situations. Being outside, away from the protection and safety of the base, put him on edge. He was used to being the head medical personnel, not a search and rescue kind of person.

"Why would we leave them there to die if they're healthy?" Geo snapped, opening the door. He pulled his knife out of his boot and held it under the gun. His hands slightly shook from adrenaline instead of fear. Drexel climbed in the front seat of the car, quietly shutting the door. Geo crouch walked to the passenger side of the vacant vehicle. His eyes widened when he saw the CDC lettering on the side.

Geo opened the passenger door, climbing inside. He grabbed the pillow from the seat. The woman in the car turned her head slowly. Her long brown hair fell into her eyes. Her teeth began chattering. Her eyes were lime green and silver, her skin was full of cysts. She reached for Geo slowly as if she needed help. However, Geo knew it was too late to help her now and he put the pillow on her face and stuck the gun to it. He pulled the trigger, killing her. Her blood was a whitish green that smeared on the pillow. Her head hung down to the side.

"I'm sorry," Geo whispered. He looked to make sure none of the scavengers were paying attention to him. Their soul focus was getting inside that house. They ripped at the siding and hit the windows harder but they didn't break. He grabbed the walkie talkie from his pocket. "Geo for Drexel?" Geo asked. He looked down the street.

"Go for Drex, what's up man?" Drexel asked waving, acknowledging he was seen.

"Get the gear out of the car, leave it on the ground and speed down the street. We need to direct them away from the house. We'll take this CDC truck. It has more space and supplies, should we find more than one person in that house," Geo ordered. Drexel and Bexley shoved their gear out the windows. Drexel slammed on the pedal and peeled down the street. He honked the horn rapidly as he passed the scavenger-infested house. They turned and started taking off after the car.