Chapter 1: Oh Military Man

A few years ago, the CDC created a pathogen called Pax-A. It was supposed to cure anything hence the "A." However, something went wrong. Something always goes wrong. The test subjects started experiencing confusion that later budded into extreme affection, obsession over the virus, or aggression toward others who were not like them.

The scientists weren't sure what was the cause but they did their best to try and keep it under control. They began using the help of leech type worms to draw out any part of the pathogen that had be inserted into their test subjects. They went back to older methods of using the leeches instead of trying to get modern and use updated equipment. That's when it mutated.

At one point, a subject was left unattended for too long and the worm started eating into the subject's head starting from the temple instead of the frontal part and attached itself to their brain, disrupting neural activity.

In order to keep the country from falling apart or letting the disease spread, all travel – both boat and air – was suspended unless it was strictly by doctors and nurses who would travel to other medical bases set up around the country. This way there could be absolutely no spread to other countries and to keep it within the states.

The water couldn't be trusted anymore and the country reverted to bottled water and any filtration systems that were used before the outbreak. With a ton of standing water now, mosquitos were at an all-time high and they were blamed with the cause of initial spread from state to state. The government started handing out specialized bug spray to keep the bugs at bay but it was far too late in the process for that.

Farmers were forbidden to move their cattle around or transport them to slaughter houses because of possible spread through eating contaminated meat. So they were killed, their bodies left to rot and get eaten by flies which also helped spread the disease. Any large flocks of birds were killed as well because they could also spread the disease by air. After researching and remembering how Europe almost fell to the black plague, any and all rodents were killed.

The CDC started sending out computer chips that were embedded into the skin to track the citizens and release a poison that would kill them should they ever get sick. When it became apparent that the rest of the country was exhibiting similar symptoms during a routine checkup, the powers that be got into contact with other world leaders to seek aid.

The CDC began setting up camps in other parts of the world to try and figure a cure in case something drastic happened to the United States, for instance if they the symptoms mutated from just regular flu like symptoms. The camps transported the worms out of the country for international testing and that's how it got loose everywhere.

As advanced as other countries such as England, Russia, China, and many others were, they were no match to keep the pathogen contained. The slip up at one camp led to the ultimate destruction of an entire country. Just like dominoes, a few of the third world countries had fallen, their governments falling into anarchy due to terror and propaganda. Back in the states, two subject carriers managed to get out of the CDC. Garnet Reding and Geoffrey Stanton.

The two have since gone different ways and created legions of their own. One for the better of the country, the other to destroy it more than it already was, holding onto the obsession and aggression of the virus. He preyed on the innocent who were healthy and added to his numbers. The other stayed with the healthy to try and take down the CDC.

The CDC shortly teamed up with every United States fighter branch – swat team, CIA, and FBI – to try and regulate certain areas and keep the peace. They called themselves The Mercenaries and they believed that they were bringing mercy to the people by chipping them. Some of the citizens refused to be chipped and started a Tamarrud – or rebellion – against the CDC to keep their friends and families safe.