Welcome to the World

Within an hour of arriving to the hospital Olivia was in a room and hooked up to an IV and a fetal monitor. The baby's heartbeat was strong and her contractions were steady. She was three centimeters dilated and progressing along normally.

Kathy stayed with her while she observed Lizzie pacing outside the room dialing her phone furiously. She kept watching the clock and listening for any sign that Elliot was at the hospital. Kathy gave her a sympathetic look every time she would check the time. She knew that Elliot missed the birth of Kathleen and almost missed the twins' because of work and she hoped that he wouldn't miss this one.

"Well well well, I hear someone's having a baby," Fin remarked making his way into the room and to her bedside. Kathy quietly excused herself.

"Fin, what are you doing here?" Olivia asked on the tail end of a contraction.

"Well I got the text from Lizzie saying that you were in labor. Where else would I be?"

He hugged her and kissed her forehead and she let the tears flow that she had been holding back. "He's not here Fin, what if he—"

"It's going to be ok. You know Stabler, he wouldn't miss this for the world."

She smiled at his attempt to keep the faith but then felt another contraction. "Oh shit-," she gritted through her teeth holding tightly to Fin's hand.

"Ok ok just breathe Liv," he tried to console her.

She got through the contraction and lay back against the pillow growing more exhausted by the minute. She was trying her best to stay calm and think positive, not wanting to cause any more stress to herself or the baby.

"Are you sure I'm not keeping you from work?"

Fin nodded and pulled a chair up next to the bed. "Nahh, Little Mikey's got things covered. He's so ready to prove himself that he's going above and beyond. Frankly it was getting a little crowded."

She was happy to hear about something work related to take her mind off of everything. "Little Mikey?" she laughed. "Please don't tell me you call him that to his face."

"You already know I do. He hates it but don't have the balls to say nothing."

Olivia took another deep breath through another smaller contraction. "Tell..me something else about work...just anything."

Fin hesitated for a minute checking to make sure she didn't need anything before he continued. "Well let's see. Something's up with Nick and Amanda, you know other than the usual. I think Nick mentioned something about going to California again for another visit and how much he likes it there and she's a little nervous that he's going to move there."

Olivia's scrunched her face in confusion. "Nick move to California? That's stupid. He wouldn't leave would he?"

"No I don't think so but you know how you women get when you are all attached to guy. Start overthinking everything," he replied making her smile. "Let's see Carisi and Little Mikey are becoming bosom buddies. Hanging out after work and all."

She rolled her eyes and smiled, "Oh god."

"Exactly. They have a lot in common I guess and I'm stilling trying to figure out if that's a good thing or bad thing," they both laughed.

"Are you guys missing me yet?" she asked with a slight smile silently hoping they did.

"You know the place isn't the same without you baby girl. We miss you but you will be back in no time. Just get this little one here safe and sound," he said touching her stomach just as another contraction came on.