Chapter 12♦ Hurricane of Danger

Clarke, Finn, and Wells approached me a while later, adorned with backpacks. I looked up at them from my spot on a log.
"I think I know what can save Jasper. We're heading out to go look for the plant." Clarke spoke.
"Great, I'll be ready in a sec, I just-" I started to reply, but was cut off.
"You're not coming."
"And why the hell should I stay?" I retorted.
"Someone needs to look after Jasper while we are gone... And that should be you."
I sighed, "Fine. Who all is going with you guys?"
They exchanged a nervous glance and Wells spoke up, "It's just us three." I stifled a laugh and raised my eyebrows at Clarke. This should be interesting.
"Have you told Monty or Octavia yet?" Clarke just shook her head. "Right... well, that's fine. You guys should head out, I'll tell them." Clarke tried to reassure me, "We will be back as soon as possible. This just might save his life." I looked away, the last thing I needed right now was her pity. Their footsteps faded away as they trudged to the the tree line and disappeared beneath the shadows. I made my way back to Octavia, Monty, and Jasper, where I spent the next hour.

I sauntered out of the drop ship and was immediately shouted at.
"Hey Trailblazer! Ever been hunting?" Bellamy called to me with that signature smirk resting on his face. Clarke, Finn, and Wells had left camp about an hour ago.
"Yes, actually, I have." I replied and was happy to note that he was momentarily impressed.
"Want to come with us, then? We could use some experienced people."
I checked out the group he was with, Murphy, Atom, John, and a few other douchebags surrounded him.
"I'll pass. I'm more of the solo-hunting type." He laughed in reply and ordered his group away. I glance go my other side and find Charlotte staring at me.
"Hey, what's up?"
She shuffles closer to me, "I can't stand that kids suffering."
"Jasper's? I know. It won't go on for much longer, though. You know, I'm sure Bellamy would take you hunting. They just left, I bet you could catch up with them." I offered.
"Thanks!" she yelped before darting off into the woods after Bellamy's group. I smiled to myself, that little girl was adorable.

Two hours had passed since Charlotte had take off after the hunting group. I hope she found them and didn't get lost. I was lounging with Octavia and Monty in the drop ship.
"So how did you guys meet, anyway?" the dark haired girl questioned Monty and me.
"We were in the same classes growing up and somehow always ended up seated next to each other." I replied.
"Jasper and I let her be our friend. She was such a loner." Monty teased.
"You guys are just too lame to have any other friends. So technically it was me dishing out the pity, not you." I shot back smugly. Octavia burst into a fit of laughter that made Monty and me chuckle. I liked Octavia. She was nice and wasn't afraid to say what was on her mind. Her independence and determination also made her stand out.

Suddenly, the curtain flew open and people began flooding in. I looked around in confusion.
"What's going on?" Monty questioned the sea of people. Only one girl could be bothered to reply, "The air got thick and our skin started burning."
"My brother is still out there." Octavia exclaimed with wide eyes.
"He'll be fine. They'll all be fine." Monty attempted to soothe the panicking girl. It didn't help. Nothing would help until they got back.

My mind raced as I paced throughout the room. Bellamy. Clarke. Wells. Finn. Charlotte. Oh god, if Charlotte dies because of me... well I don't know what I would do. If Clarke doesn't get back, then Jasper will die. This situation just kept getting worse with the more thought I put into it.
"Blue, calm down. I'm sure they will be fine. They're smart. You're pacing isn't going to help them." Monty pointed out calmly. I ran a hand through my knotted blonde hair.
"I know... I just... I'm so worried. What if they don't make it? What if-"
"What if they do? Blue, they will make it," Monty cut me off, "I'm going to get some water." He disappeared down the latter. Jasper's groans had grown louder as the night drug on. I knelt beside Octavia, "I'm sorry..."
"I get it. I'm worried, too," she smiled at me, "We just have to trust that they were smart enough to get out."

We interrupted by Monty scrambling up the latter. He spoke urgently, "Hurry, Murphy is going to kill him." We leapt to our feet and slammed the hatch down. Monty and I sat on it to keep Murphy away as he shouted at us. Octavia clambered back to us with a metal rail to block the entrance. After triple checking that the rod would hold, we rolled off of the hatch and leaned backwards, heaving huge sighs. That was too close for comfort.

By morning, the fog had cleared, allowing everyone to shuffle outside into cool air. I waited until the footsteps had all cleared away before cautiously making my way down the latter. The lower level was completely empty, so we decided it was safe to leave the hatch open again. I paced nervously outside of the drop ship and continuously glanced at the tree line. They should all be back soon.

By midday I had worn a track on the ground with my constant treading. No one was back yet, and I was sick with worry. I tried to stay busy by comforting Jasper or writing in my notebook, but I couldn't sit still. I continued to pace, as my nerves ate away my insides.

The sun was hunkering low in the sky and the moon had risen slightly. I plopped down on a log and burried my head in my hands. Naturally, my thoughts traveled to the worst possible scenario, everyone out in the forest either suffering or already dead because of that damn fog.

I was pulled from my thoughts minutes later due to my fellow criminals shouting. My head snapped up as multiple people declared two words loud enough for everyone to hear, "They're back." I stood immediately and peered through a gathering crowd. I caught sight of a smaller group stumbling through the gates of our camp. Clarke's blonde hair flashed in the firefight and I jogged to her.
"We got it," She spoke swiftly, "Now move so I can save his life. We don't have much time." I stepped out of her way as she, Finn, and Wells marched past me. Glancing back to the entrance, I caught a glimpse of Charlotte sneaking in. Thank god she was safe. I rushed to her side and pulled her into a quick embrace, "Are you okay?" I looked into her face.
"I'm fine," she replied, "Bellamy helped me, just like you said he would." I search the crowds until my eyes lock with him, who happens to be staring at us already. I gave him the tiniest of nods, gratitude written in my face. He returned it with a diminutive tilt of his head.
"I'm gonna get some water..." Charlotte said, causing me to break my eye contact with Bellamy.
"That's a good idea." I ushered her towards the group water supply before joining Bellamy at the camp fire. A mob had formed... I think the majority of the 100 were present. Octavia was shoving her way through it and reached us.
"O...just stay there, please." Bellamy tried to hold her back.
She shrugged him off easily, "No, Stop." She knelt next to a lifeless form and gently pulled back the jacket. It revealed the blistered face of Atom. He wasn't breathing.
"There's nothing I could do." Bellamy started, and his voice slightly cracked as he spoke.
"Don't." she snapped sharply. Tears streamed down her face. I didn't know she had cared about Atom so much. She stood and shoved past her brother again. He looked heartbroken as she stumbled into the drop ship, not sending a single look back our way. I hesitantly reached out a hand and lightly touched his arm, " She will be okay. She's going to forgive you." I murmured and dropped my hand back to my side. He nodded at the ground solemnly before turning to Murphy, "Lose anyone here?"
"Nope."
"Jasper?" Wow. I hadn't expected that to come out of his mouth.
"Still breathing... barely. I tried to take him out myself," I lunged at him, but Bellamy whipped his hand in front of my stomach before I could reach the damn fool. Murphy merely glanced at me before continuing, "But your psycho little sister and-"
Bellamy immediately let go of me and shoved Murphy backwards, "My psycho little what?"
"Your little sister and trailblazer." I wanted to slap him for calling me that.
"Yeah. Got anything else you want to say about them?" Bellamy growled.
"Nothing. Sorry." there wasn't a hint of apology in his voice. Bellamy stepped away from him and pointed to Atom's body, "Get him out of here." His voice cracked. The crowd began to disperse, and Bellamy led me away by my elbow.

This chapter took forever to type! I'm so sorry, I'll try to update more often, but these chapters are typically long and I'm busy. But here you are! Next chapter is gonna be exciting lol. Hope you enjoy!