Chapter 11♦ Demon's Dreaming Child

I jolted awake yet again that night to a piercing scream. The moon had begun to sink, but it was still dark. I estimated that only an hour had passed since I was last conscious.
"No... No!" a girls screech rang out. I kept to my feet, I swear to god if it was Murphy again I was going to personally kill him. As I rushed to investigate the screams, I found it had, in fact, not been Murphy causing the disturbance, but a little girl thrashing in her sleep. I knelt beside her and gently shook her awake. She bolted into a sitting position, I might add that that nearly knocked me backwards, panting as beads of sweat rolled down her small, creased forehead. Her soft brown eyes flew open in horror.
"It's okay. You're okay." I hummed calmly. Clarke appeared from behind a tree and looked at us questioningly.
"I've got this one. To get some sleep or save Jasper." I directed her. Her eyes shifted betweem me and the child, but she nodded and walked away. I turned back to the girl's round face and small face. A wave of recognition passed over me, "I sat next to you during the landing... Charlotte, right?" She nodded, but still looked utterly terrified.
"I'm Blue," I sat down beside her, "It's okay to be scared. Everyone's scared. I'm scared. Do you want to talk about it?" She hugged her knees.
"It's my parents," she began tenatively, "They were floated and I see it in my dreams." She stopped talking because she was tearing up.
"I understand. How did you get locked up?"
She sighed, "They were taking my parent's stuff to distribution...and I lost it. I assaulted a guard."
"We were locked up for almost the same reason, then. I lost it, too, but I assaulted a fellow memeber of the Ark." She stated up at me in surprise, but I changed the subject again, "How long were you locked up before they sent us down here?"
"A year." she replied simply.
I pointed up at the sky, "See that shining star? That's the Ark. You see, they're up there, and we're down here. They can't reach you anymore. Your fear of them builds a bridge for them to cross. Cut down your fears, one-by-one, and there won't be a bridge left. They won't be able to get to you."
"You really believe that?" Her almond eyes bore into my shimmering ones,
"It's how I've dealt with pain and fear my whole life. So far, it's worked." I smiled down at her. She leaned against my shoulder and I wrapped a comforting arm around her.
"Thanks." she whispered.
"Anytime." I whispered back. We sat there in a calming silence and I got lost in thought for the millionth time since we came to Earth. It took me a few moments to realize that Charlotte's breathing had actually slowed and her eyes were closed. She had fallen asleep on my arm, but I didn't mind. My own eyelids grew heavy again. I glanced at my surroundings one last time, and noticed a broad figure standing a few feet away. I didn't know how long he had been watching, but I guess it didn't really matter.
"You're a natural. Now goodnight." Bellamy spoke in a gravelly voice.
"'Night." I mumbled. I nodded off with a hint of a smile etched on my lips.

I woke up for the third time in the past twelve hours. The sun was sitting low on the horizon, painting mixtures of gold, orange, and pink across the skies. I carefully situated Charlotte against the tree I had leaned on so she wouldn't wake up. I stood and brushed off my jeans. The rest of the camp was buzzing with activity, as the wall was still being built. I don't kmow how I managed to sleep through all the noise, but I can't say I was complaining. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and stretched out my cramped muscles before roaming to where I had left Monty last night. It was vacant, but I wasn't surprised. Monty was always an early riser. I retraced my steps and continued to the drop ship.

I pushed aside the curtain and entered the dark metal deathtrap. Jasper was still groaning in pain, and Clarke was standing over him with Finn at her side. Monty sat with a lantern in a corner and was fiddling with one of the bracelets.
"Have a nice nap?" he taunted.
"Says you. You sleep heavier than a brick." I retorted. He laughed lightly.
"Is she okay?" Clarke asked me out of the blue.
"Charlotte? Yeah, just nightmares. She's fine now." Clarke nodded, relieved. Just then, Wells barged into the room from behind me and marched to Clarke, but surprise there, almost knocking me to the floor as he went. I angrily traveled to where Monty was and plumped down in a chair next to him.
"Any progress on using the bracelets to contact the Ark?" Clarke asked, obviously trying to ignore Wells, but Monty just continued to stare at Jasper, "Monty." This time she was actually rude.
"Clarke. His best friend is dying a few feet away from him, he has a right to be distracted. Lay off." I snapped.
"It would be a firm 'no' anyway." he uttered finally.

"How's he doing?" Wells made a horrible attempt to change the subject after minutes of awkward silence.
"How does it look like he's doing, Wells?" Clarke growled.
"Hey, I'm just trying to help." he whispered.
"Fine. You wanna help? Hold him down."
"I'm not going to like this, am I?" Monty asked with a worried expression. She shook,her head grimly. Minutes later we were all holding Jasper to the table so Clarke could cut away the infected flesh. Octavia rushed into the room and started screeching at us, "Stop! Stop it you're killing him!"
"She's trying to save his life." Finn replied calmly. Then I think Bellamy felt left out because he decided to join the party, too.
"She can't."
I am so done with people telling other people what they can or can't do. I stood up and marched up to him.
"Jasper will live. You don't call that shot." He just looked away.
"The kids a goner. If you can't see that you're blind," I resisted the ur he to slap him, "He's making people crazy."
"Sorry if Jaspers an inconvenience to you, but this isn't the Ark. Every life matters down here." Clarke shot back harshly.
"Take a look at him. He's a lost cause," he is so asking for it, "You don't have the guts to make the hard decisions, I do. If he isn't better by tomorrow, I'll kill him myself." With that he waltzed out of the drop ship.
"I'm gonna kick his ass." I grumbled darkly and marched out of the curtain before anyone could stop me.

I emerged into the blinding sunlight and paused to let my eyes adjust. His tall frame caught my eye as he walked with his back to me.
"Bellamy!" I shouted angrily and raced to him. I halted in front of him and he stated down at me with blank eyes and a blank expression.
"You are extremely revoltingly stupid! You can't make a threat like that and expect-"
He cut me off, "Oh, and why's that? That kid is suffering and making it worse for everyone else."
"That 'kid' happens to be my best friend. He isn't giving up, so neither am I. You aren't going to ruin his chances of survival, no matter how slim. I will do whatever it takes to keep it that way." I spat.
He sighed, "I don't know what you want me to do. He can't go on like that."
"He won't. We just need more time to figure out what to do," Bellamy looked at me skeptically, "Please. He and Monty are all I have... I need him." By now I was begging. He glanced away and drew in a deep breath.
"If they come up with an idea to save him, he will get more time." His russet eyes bore into my blue ones again and I heaved a huge sigh. I breathed a simple 'thanks'. He gave me a pointed look before turning away again.

Okay, so this was supposed to be up two days ago. It took me for eh we to type the 1400 words and then when I published it, it deleted all but 7 words. I can't even begin to explain how mad I was. Then I retyped it again today. In all I have written/rewritten this chapter 3 times. I'll try to go through it later, but for now it isn't proofread, so I'm sorry for any mistakes. Hope you enjoy!