Chapter 9♦ Cold to the Touch

My breathing stopped momentarily and I felt like throwing up. Jasper looked plainly horrible. My jaw dropped as I took in his blood-smeared body. He was shirtless and looked more emaciated than before. Over the right section of his chest was a deep wound coated in a green substance. He groaned again in pain and his head lulled to the side. If he hadn't been restrained he would have fallen. I blinked my watery eyes and forced myself to focus, since when had crying helped any situation?
"Oh my god...Jasper?" Clarke voiced out loud and stumbled forward. The rest of us scooted forward carefully. Despite the raging urge to sprint to my best friend, I knew it wouldn't be that easy. There had to be a trap somewhere, and getting caught in one wouldn't help him.
"The hell is this-" Bellamy started, but a loud crack cut him off. To his right the ground beneath Clarke gave way. His instant reflexes saved her life. He stood gripping her wrist as she hung over a pit filled with manmade spikes. I called it. The trap was deadlier than I had anticipated, but I guess I should be surprised. They did almost kill my best friend for crossing a damn river. Everyone rushed forward and helped Bellamy pull Clarke away from the pit.

She rose to her feet.
"We need to get him down." she declared. I swear I'm surrounded by stupidity.
"Really? I was gonna suggest we let him hang there for a while longer. No shit we need to get him down." Clarke rolled her eyes at me.
"I'll climb up and cut the vines." I offered.
"I'll go with you." Finn said. I sighed, but picked my way to the base of the tree. I reached it with Finn and Murphy still trailing behind. Immediately I began the short ascent to where Jasper was tied. I glanced down to where the two boys were stared up at me.
"Maybe it's just from my perspective, but this tree doesn't look like it's going to climb itself. And I can't carry him down on my own." I mumbled annoyed, but kept my upwards climb. I heard scrabbling below me and figured they had finally started up the tree, too. I paused on a branch next to Jasper.
"We're gonna get you out of here. You're gonna be okay." I whispered to my dying best friend and began working out the knots in the ropes that bound him to the tree.

Rustling in the towering grass made me pause my work and I studied the bushes, looking for the source of the noise.
"Grounders?" Bellamy asked, shuffling nervously. I spotted a dark, hunched figure stalking through the brush.
"No..." I concentrated on it harder, but there was no need. It came bounding out of the grasses.
"Watch out!" I screeched.
"Bellamy, gun!" Clarke exclaimed. Gun shots were fired, with Wells behind the trigger. How did he get that from Bellamy? He shot at the creature, but barely wounded it. It circled through the overgrown plants. We all grew into a tense silence as we awaited the next attack. Then it leaped out of nowhere...straight at a tall figure from our group.
"Bellamy" I exclaimed. It fell dead only feet from him in a convulsing ball of black fur. Wells pulled the trigger again, but he had used all of the bullets.
"Now she sees you." was all Bellamy said to him. The kid saved your life! You'd think he could at least say 'thank you".

After that intense moment, we finished with the ropes and carried Jasper safely back to the group. Finn and Clarke supported him as we started our way back to camp. Wells and Murphy were assigned to help carry the dead wild cat. Bellamy and I walked side-by-side in silence.
"So you were really worried about me back there, huh?" Bellamy spoke teasingly.
I signed, "I've told you this before, our goal is to keep everyone alive, and sadly, you're part of everyone."
"Whatever you say... but we both know you actually care about me." he replied while smirking down at me.
"Ah, yes. Because your bravery, brains, and looks are just to die for." came my sarcastic reply. He smiled, but continued moving forward.
"I knew it! You are so madly in love with me!" he taunted.
"Not even in your wildest dreams."

Damn, his cockiness is adorable.

So here is Chapter 9 as promised! Sorry I got it up later than I had planned, but it is up now! So yeah, Blue's sarcasm is shinning through as she gains more confidence. I'll be able to post chapter 10 super soon, too, so be on the lookout! It will be longer than these past two lol. Hope you enjoy!