Chapter Seventy-Three

In Other Words…Chapter Seventy-Three 

They walked down the long corridor, linked only by a few fingers as he said his short goodbyes to the crew members and friends he knew by name, knowing it would only be another twelve hours or so until he’d see them again. She bumped her shoulder against his arm, not because she wanted his attention, but because she just wanted to. Niall gave an exaggerated grunt and a smile. He wanted to ask her how she liked the show, wanted to know her favorite parts, and for her to be honest if she thought he sounded a little off-key during one song, although he couldn’t remember now which it had been.

Roxy had been what Niall would consider nothing less than incredible all day. She wasn’t the least bit bothered by the almost-endless waiting around. She was patient as he did his radio interview before the show, and again afterward as he took a quick shower and turned in his wardrobe to the designated person. He couldn’t help but notice how at-ease she seemed with his family members and his stupid friends from home. She was just happy to be a part of it. The blissful madness of it all certainly wasn’t lost on her.

He noticed her coy smirk first, the edges of her lips turning up ever so slightly. And then there was that little glint in her eye. “What?” he said, pulling her in under his arm as they walked.

“Can you show me those lifts in the stage?” she said. He had to think for a second about what she was referring to. “The toastery things.” She clarified. He wished she would have asked him earlier, while the technician in charge of the hydromatics was still around. He told her as much, and promised to arrange for her to be flung from one before the next show.  She looked a little more defeated than he would have expected. “Can you show me where you hide out under the stage at least?”

Roxy was trying to do her best to not reveal her motives, and Niall hadn’t picked up on anything at all. It was a strange request, especially given the fact that they were headed out to the pub to celebrate the tour. But, he was still on his post-show high, and couldn’t overthink a single thing or tell this girl anything other than yes.

Niall lifted the metal ring that was embedded in the floor and pulled open the door, muttering about how they ought to find a way to affix a ladder or something, since the drop to the concrete below was at least five feet.  She peered over the edge, relieved it wasn’t completely black under there. Niall jumped through the opening, favoring his bad knee on landing, and turned back to help her. Roxy sat gingerly at the edge, legs dangling. He kissed her kneecaps, taking up the opportunity provided by this strange vantage point. “C’mon then.” He said, hugging the side of the open square so she’d have room to move. She hesitated.

His hands slid around her hips and pulled her to the edge and down in beside him, the soles of her shoes making a gentle smack on the floor. Niall has to crouch once the door is closed behind them, and Roxy stoops just a little too. He’s blathering on about the mechanics of the stage, and some guy named Bill, and she finds herself wetting her lips, her index finger gripping the beltloop  at the back of his pants as they shuffled around in the shadows, making their way to the area where Niall waits before the show, listening as the crowd shouts the countdown displayed on all of the screens surrounding the stage.

“So.” He pointed above him. “This is it.” The thick sheet of metal is in its up position, sealing the hole in the stage, two angled rods extending from the floor upward and braced against the front of the stage are what she assumes control the platform. She didn’t know what she expected to find beneath the stage, but this certainly wasn’t it. In her mind, there were nooks and cubbies, secret corners. In reality, it was a basically open but confined space, enough light filtering in that you could get around with little difficulty.