Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Forty-Eight 

Roxy’s POV

Hunger had taken over. I am not quite sure exactly what I expected to happen, but certainly I didn’t think my sole focus would be getting his bare skin against mine. I closed my eyes for a moment to see if that would help, but his warm presence next to me kept my thoughts tuned-in. A romantic reunion has been reduced to this; two grown adults acting like a couple of horny teenagers that will soon find themselves unattended, sitting patiently, waiting for the upcoming opportunity to unzip, undress and unravel.

I licked my lips.

The back of his hand grazed mine. The energy that existed in the millimeters between our skin caused the baby-fine hairs there to stand on end. I wondered if he could feel it too. The slight upturn of his lips at the corners told me that he just might have.

The driver finally pulled up to my building, and I hopped out onto the sidewalk before the man could help me with my door. “Hey babe.” Niall said from inside the car. I leaned down and poked my head in to see him staring into his wallet. He laughed softly. “I’ve got euros and American money in here, but no…”

I was already rummaging through my bag. Even though the fare was already covered, Niall was always sure to leave an additional tip if the ride met the necessary criteria: quick and safe. I flattened the crumpled bills a bit before handing them to the driver with a smile. “Merry Christmas!” I called before gripping Niall by the front of his coat and dragging him.

“You in some sort of rush?” he smirked as I struggled to get my key into the exterior door. Yet again, my attempts to tease him had backfired, and I was the one left with warm thighs and racing thoughts. The sun had set, and the air was now especially frigid. Of course, I had forgotten my mittens. Finally the key slipped smoothly into the lock and I flung the door open wide, both of us slipping into the warmth before it slammed loudly behind us.

I had the urge to take the stairs two-at-a-time, but I forced myself to take it slowly, hoping the sight of my ass at his eye-level would help me regain advantage in the game of “Who Wants it More?” we seem to be playing. I set the pace for the four flights, staying two stairs ahead of him.  At the top of the first flight, I caught his reflection in the window, and the look on his face told me my tactics were working. “Whatcha thinking about, Ni?” I said sweetly.

“Nothin’.” He groaned.

“Are you sure you don’t want to just meet me downstairs?” I turned and leaned against the heavy steel door leading to my floor. “I’ll just grab the car keys and be right down.” The tips of his toes aligned with my own, and he pressed against me. His lips took me by a bit of a surprise, and I inhaled deeply as his hands pushed upward under my sweater and over my stomach.

“No, I think I’ll come in.” He whispered. “I need to get warmed up a bit.”

I jerked at the door handle and the weight of us pressed against it pushed it open quickly, sending us stumbling awkwardly into the hallway. He took my hand as we walked quickly toward my apartment, a few giggles sneaking their way out of my lips. 

“Evenin’ Mrs. Morgan.” Niall says with a nod to the elderly woman that lives three doors down, her tiny dog George accompanying her on her nightly walk.  She gave us a quick hello and a polite smile. A few more giggles squeaked by as she rounded the corner and we were alone once more in the hallway, standing in front of my door.

“You’re home!” I reminded myself aloud as I looked up at him. He brought his lips onto mine again and I flung open the door. His arms wrapped tightly around my body.

“Up.” He said.

I crouched down slightly before springing up, my toes leaving the floor by a few inches. He quickly caught his arms beneath me, as I wrapped my legs around his hips. I gripped his shoulders and crossed my ankles, bringing me in closer to his chest as I reconnected our lips and he finally stepped into my apartment, his hands squeezing my ass through the thin fabric of my leggings.

“Hey!” Ryan yelled from the couch, throwing the video game controller to the table. “Fucking gross, guys!”

Niall tried to pull away, but I leaned into him harder, refusing his mouth a moment’s rest. “Hey mate nice t’see ya.” he managed to mumble.

“Okay, guess I will head up to the bar a little early.” Ryan said, holding his hand at the side of his face to shield himself from the sight of us. I should have been embarrassed, but honestly, I could have cared less.  Niall kept making his way toward my bedroom, and once we were inside the threshold, I climbed down from him and tore off my coat. I heard the door slam as Ryan left, leaving Niall and I standing toe-to-toe, the sounds of our breathing already echoing off the walls.

Niall’s POV

The daydreams about what I wanted our first night back together to look like started up about a week ago. I’d be in line at McDonald’s, and I’d realize that I’d been thinking about the way she arches her back when she’s close to her peak. Or I’d be in the shower, remembering what it feels like when the hot water would hit the fresh scratches she’d sometimes leave on my back.

Despite these haunting thoughts, I’d decided that I wanted to treat this night with slightly more maturity. I wanted it to be deliberate, slow, and passionate. Not hasty.  I looked at her standing before me, doing the ladylike thing and offering me the first move. I knew if I waited too long, she’d grow impatient. So, I opted to speak.

“Rox, this isn’t how I wanted it.” I blurted.

“Yeah?” she smiled. “Want me to light a candle or something?” She pushed up at my shirt, her hands finding the clasp of my buckle. I took the smallest of steps backward.  “Come on, Ni. Just a quickie?” she pouted.

“You know how I feel about quickies.” I replied.

“I know.” She said, pulling her jumper over her head with one hand, her black bra a stark contrast with her winter pale skin. “But just because it’s quick doesn’t mean it won’t be good. Plus, I don’t think I am going to be able to last very long once I get you inside me.” She whispered, her voice hoarse.

She was right. And I couldn’t wait any longer. I tossed my shirt on top of hers and wriggled out of my jeans, nearly stumbling as my feet got caught in the tapered legs. She broke into laughter at the sight of me struggling.

“Come on, Ni. Let’s get this over with so we can get some dinner.” She joked.

We didn’t waste any time with the theatrics of undressing each other. I sat on the edge of her bed, letting my eyes get reacquainted with her nudity. Her arms crossed in front of her stomach. I couldn’t understand how, after all of this time, she could still be slightly uncomfortable around me. I took her wrist and pulled her up close, letting my lips graze at her nipples.

“Hey. No playing around.” She smirked. “Later.”

I kicked her feet apart slightly and gripped the backs of her thighs, positioning her over my lap. She placed her palm flat against my chest and I shifted up on the mattress, her body still hovering above mine, her knees resting on the bed at either side of my hips.

“It’s been forever.” She mumbled nervously.

“I’ll go slow.” I said, my hands gripping her hips and easing her down onto me. She sucked in a quick breath as we locked eyes, her warmth enveloping me completely. She shuddered as I pulled out slightly, returning the thrust only to find her tighter than before.

“Fuck.” We gasped in unison.