Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two 

Roxy’s POV

His breath on my ear brought me back to consciousness with a shiver. “We gotta get up, babe.” He said. I sunk back against him, this morning snuggle felt like perfection. He wrapped his arm around my waist tightly and then abruptly rolled out of the bed, landing on his feet. I turned back to beg him to get back into the sheets. He reached up and ruffled his hair, and no words could escape my lips at the sight.

“I’m going to have a quick shower and then go to the petrol station for some ice.” He said, planting a kiss on my forehead.  I watched him sleepily as pulled out his swim trunks and a t shirt.

“You never let me get enough sleep.” I said.

He closed the drawer and turned around slowly, a smile spreading across his face. He leaned back against the dresser and folded his arms. “So sorry about that.” He said.

“Cheeky boy.”  I said. I pulled the covers back and gave a stretch. Niall headed for the shower, and I for the kitchen to make the sandwiches and pack up the coolers. My mind wandered as I busied my hands to the task. I was back on the beach at my family’s cottage; digging my toes into the sand. My brother chasing me into the clear water until the force of the waves knocked us over and we floated back ashore.   The blue sky outside the window made me excited to be on the beach again, albeit in a bit of a different scenario. It would be good to see the boys again, and I wondered what sort of trouble they’d manage to get into. They all took their free time very seriously.

I wrapped each sandwich in foil and stacked them neatly into storage bags, labeling them by type with the permanent marker I found in the change dish atop Niall’s dresser. “You’re good at this stuff.” He said, wrapping his arms around my middle, his hair still wet. He left an overly wet kiss on my cheek. “Okay, be back shortly with ice.” He said, grabbing his keys and wallet from the table by the door and tucking them into the back pocket of his swim trunks on his way out the door.

Niall’s POV

My phone rang just as pulled out of the complex. “Hi, Mum.” I said. It was pretty early for a phone call. “Everything all right?”

“You forgot to call me back last night, Niall.” She said.

“Ah Christ, mum. I’m sorry.”  I said.

“Watch your language.” She said.

I pulled into the petrol station and put the car into park. “I forgot, mum.”

“What’s her name?” she asked.

“What?” I said. Immediately I was concerned about what may have tipped her off. I put her on speaker and typed my name into Google News on my phone, silently praying not to see a picture of Roxy and I there.

“Niall, I’m your mother. I know there’s someone. I am just asking her name.” she said. My shoulders relaxed.

“Roxanne.” I said. “Her name is Roxanne, well, Roxy. She’s called Roxy.”

Roxy’s POV

 It dawned on me how strange it was to be alone in his apartment.  I walked down the hall slowly, admiring all of the photos and plaques hanging on the walls. I opened the linen closet to find that it was impeccably organized. Probably his mom’s doing. I chose a towel from the shelf and headed for a quick shower.

Unsure if there would be a place to change at the beach, I decided to pull a tank top and shorts on over my bathing suit.  

The  mousse I helped  myself to from  under the sink expanded in my hand and I worked it into my wet hair as I heard Niall’s key in the door.  “You better not be back in that bed, Roxanne.” He called out.

“I know you’re crossing your fingers that I am, Niall.” I called back. “But I am just finishing getting dressed.” I tipped my head over and shook out my hair one last time before turning out the light. He topped the cooler full of drinks off with ice, and tucked what remained in the bag into the cooler with the food. “Need help carrying those down?” I asked.

“I think we’ll need to make a few trips.” He said, standing back to look at the overabundance of supplies for one day’s trip. I finished packing my tote bag with our towels, sunscreen and my iPod and slung it over my shoulder as we each took a handle of the drink cooler and headed for the elevator.

Niall’s POV

It was a beautiful day for a drive, and we got an early start. We stopped at McDonald’s to get some breakfast to-go, and it wasn’t long until we were out of the city and onto the M-4, heading for the coast. Roxy plugged in her iPod, and the sounds of her summer playlist filled the car. Most of the songs I was familiar with, and we eventually found ourselves singing along loudly, the rush of wind through the lowered windows failing to drown us out.

 She kicked off her sandals, and her feet rested on my dashboard, the purple polish on her toes catching the sunlight. We talked the entire two hours, but I couldn’t tell you what about. I made the series of turns off the motorway that I’d memorized the last time the lads and I were out.

“This is it?” she said skeptically, eyeing the tall reeds outside her door.

“Yep. It’s unassuming, which is why it’s perfect.” I said.  “Come on, I’ll come back for the coolers.” I held her hand and stepped out ahead of her, pushing the brush aside with each step. After about thirty meters or so, the grass began to thin out, giving way to the sand, which was just beginning to heat up in the morning sun.

We were the first of the group to arrive. Roxy looked out over the water and took a deep breath of salty air. “It’s beautiful.” She said aloud, to no one in particular. She slipped out of her sandals and rushed to the water’s edge, the waves washing over her bare feet. She turned around and looked back at me.

“How’s the water?” I yelled.

“This is going to be the best day.” was her reply.

Roxy’s  POV

I settled into my towel, wiggling around to leave a comfortable butt imprint in the sand beneath it. Niall was already into a bag of chips. “You’re going to get sand in those.” I said, rubbing some sunscreen onto the tops of my thighs.  He shrugged and munched away. “Ah, back to bed.” I said. I laid back and closed my eyes, letting the sound of the waves relax me. The sun was heating me down to my bones, and it felt wonderful.

As I felt myself slipping into a nap, I was startled by a slight tickle in the arch of my foot. I lifted my head. Niall is alternating popping one chip into his mouth, and tossing one at my feet, where a crowd of seagulls has gathered. “Rude.” I said, and plunked my head back down.  My reaction must have disappointed him, as he pulverized a chip in the palm of his hand and funneled it directly into my waiting bellybutton.

“That’s it!” I said, and shot up off the towel. “You’re gonna get it.” I yelled,  he’d already taken off running, but I soon caught up. I snatched his snapback off his head and stuck my tongue out sharply before turning and running in the other direction. I could feel him on my heels, and my legs muscles started to burn from sprinting in the sand. His hands caught my hips and threw me off-course, his arms wrapping around me as we both toppled to the sand. We both lay there, taking a moment to catch our breaths. He pulled the hat from my grip and placed it backward on his head.

My hands found the waistband of his swim trunks and I slowly peeled back the Velcro closure. He sat up on his elbows, looking around the empty beach and then back at me. “Really?” he said, licking his lips.

“Really.” I said, tossing a handful of sand into his shorts and leaping to my feet. I would have a head start in the next leg of our chase, but I didn’t need it as I saw Harry pushing his way through the reeds. “Are we even, then?” I said back to Niall, who had managed to close up his shorts and was now jumping up and down to shake the sand loose. He just looked at me and shook his head.