Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven 

Roxy’s POV

I wake up and glance at the clock which reads 6:15. A lucky break, as my phone was dead and buried in my comforter somewhere. I did not manage to plug it into the charger last night before falling asleep, so Wham’s Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go didn’t start playing as it should have at six on-the-dot. I dug around to find it, and plugged it in, hoping it would take enough charge while I readied myself for the day so that I could check my email on the way into work. I sat on the edge of the bed and took a second to pause my Monday morning auto-pilot to replay last night’s phone call in my head. I caught my reflection in the mirror hanging on the back of my bedroom door. “Don’t embarrass me.” I said as I attempted to turn off my grin.

It was a day stuck in the office for me; boring, but necessary. I finished replying to my emails and phone calls, most of which pertained to the event we held yesterday in the park. It seems to have been a success, as the interns assigned to the fundraising team were rushing about the halls, with their wireless headsets permanently affixed.  I finished compiling the agenda for my mid-morning meeting, and refilled my Starbucks cup with the stale, acidic office brew. It was going to be a two-cup kind of a day.

I had fifteen minutes to kill, so I pulled my chair over to the window, where my phone was charging on the sill. I screwed around on Facebook, reviewing statuses and pictures. It was an easy way to catch up on the weekend’s happenings with my friends back home. I missed them, but it was virtually impossible to feel disconnected, given they shared every moment and experience on the web. I, on the other hand was more of an active listener than a constant poster.

The little envelope icon appeared at the top of my screen, and I closed out of my friend Sadie’s 24th Birthday Party album to find a text from Niall. “Hey strange question. How in the hell do I get waterproof mascara off my face?” it read.  “Wow, sounds like you had a rough night, David Bowie. Use some lotion on a tissue. It will come right off. I’ve got a meeting to run to now. If you need further assistance, please try Google.” I typed and tossed my phone back on the sill.

Niall’s POV

We’ve got a Monday off, which is rare. I called up Liam to come over to watch some football recaps. Neither of our teams had played this past weekend, so we shouldn’t end up in a fist fight.  His girlfriend’s got a gig out of town, and the poor lad’s bored out of his mind. I toss him a bag of crisps, grab my guitar and head to the couch. “That was a long shoot yesterday. I had sand in places my mother ain’t even seen.” I said to Liam as I plucked out a few notes. “Yeah mate, that was a crazy one.” He replied, not taking his eyes off the screen.  I picked up my mobile and began to type a message to Roxy, but not wanting to seem desperate, dropped it back down onto the couch beside me. She’s in a meeting anyway.

The adverts have begun to roll on the tele, so talking is now acceptable. “Who are you waiting on, Nialler?” Liam says, pointing a Dorito in the direction of my phone before popping it into his mouth. “Better not be work stuff. You know the rules about off-days.”

I consider for a moment if I should let Liam in on what I’ve got cooking. He and I have grown incredibly close over the last few years, and of all the lads, he is most like a brother. The trouble is, he’s been in a relationship for the better part of five years now, and can’t really relate to the way I date, or actually, the way I don’t date. Liam is the type that hopes I find the girl I am going to marry straight away, instead of enjoying spending time with the occasional Ms. Right Now.  “Twitter.”  I said, not wanting to get into it with him at the moment. “You’re on that thing too much, man.” Liam finished as the programme resumed.