Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve 

Roxy’s POV

I pulled the hoodie tightly around my middle, and looked down at the tiny puddle of water at my feet.  The air conditioning is giving me a little chill. Or perhaps it was the blood rushing away from my extremities as he repeated “I’d like it if you stayed the night with me.” My heart was racing, knowing that’d I would have to answer him quickly, not giving me much time to think. Or overthink. For once, it was my brain screaming “yes!” and my heart was saying “slow down.” What was that about? Did I just really like him?

I bet he does this with loads of girls. The over-thinker chimed in. I’d obviously taken too long to answer. I looked up at Niall’s blue eyes. I am feeling vulnerable again, but this time in a good way; in the butterfly way. But, I didn’t want to come off as easy. “Let’s flip a coin.” I said.

“I think my odds are better if you just made a decision.” He said, not entertaining my ambivalence. “I can tell that you had a good time with me today, and every other day we’ve seen each other. So, stay here with me tonight. You won’t regret it, I promise.” He said warmly.

I closed my eyes. All of the reasons I should high-tail it back to my own hotel room scrolled across the backs of my eyelids. I had felt the same way when I got the job offer in London. I had almost psyched myself out of doing that, and it has turned out to be an amazing adventure. I’d never been the adventurous type, never been one to take a risk.  I flung my eyes open. “I’ll stay.” I said and took a breath as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me in for an excited squeeze.

“I need to get out of this bathing suit.” I said, my face pressed into his chest. He pulled back and gave me a big smile and a double eyebrow raise. I felt the flush in my cheeks. “Not what I meant.” I snapped. He took my hand none the less and pulled me toward the bedroom.

“Relax, we’re just going to find you something to change into.” He said as I lifted my heels from the spot I’d dug them into the floor, and scooped up by bag. He rifled through his luggage, which was already a heaping mess and pulled out two t shirts and two pairs of sweat pants. He laid one set on the bed. “I’m gonna order a pizza while you get changed. I’m starving. What do you like on it?” he asked as he peeled off his damp t shirt and tossed it into the small heap of wrinkled clothes in the corner.

“Pepperoni.” I replied. “But I really don’t care, whatever you feel like.”

Niall’s POV

She stood there with her hands jammed into those pockets, looking at me with her grey-green eyes. I could tell she was nervous, and it was adorable. I’d have to prove to her somehow that I’m a decent guy, as it was likely that my status would soon cause her to second-guess my genuine interest in her. I smiled and closed the door behind me, leaning against it for a moment thinking about her taking off that bikini and pulling on my clothes. To a man, there’s nothing better than a beautiful girl wearing his clothes.

I changed in the common area into my dry boxers and pants and pulled on a fresh shirt, then ducked into the bathroom to toss my wet swim trunks over the towel bar to dry. Now, where is my mobile? I thought as my stomach rumbled. The door to the bedroom opened, and she stepped out carrying her swimsuit in one hand, and my iPhone in the other. “Ah, I was looking for that. That’s a good look on you, by the way.” I said, taking the phone and giving her the once-over.

“You think so?” she looked down at the outfit briefly. “ I am glad to be warm and dry. Thanks.” She said sweetly, heading into the bathroom. I unlocked the screen and closed out of the texts from the lads without bothering to read them. I already knew that Liam’s sent something inspirational, Louis something funny, Harry something filthy, and Zayn, well, there wouldn’t be one from Zayn. I just needed to order a pizza.