Chapter Twenty-Eight

Niall’s POV

“Pulling up to McDonald’s now.” I said. “What are you having for lunch, babe?” The queue at the drive through was eight cars deep.

“Umm. A cup of soup and some crusty bread” Roxy said, her voice over the speakers in my car. “Had to order in today, it’s a busy one.”

The shrill ring of her desk phone echoed in the background. “I’ll let you go, Rox.” I said, my finger on the end call button on the steering wheel. “Love you.”

“Love you, Ni.” She said, placing her phone down without hanging up and taking the other call. This is Roxanne, can I help you? Her tone was so sweet and professional. I clicked the button and moved up one spot in the line. My fingertips drummed along with the radio as my mind wandered.

“You lost the bet, fair and square, Horan.” She said, looking up at me. “Now get down here on the floor.”

“Why can’t you just bet for money like a normal person?” I said, reluctantly easing myself to the carpet and removing my shoes. She stuck her tongue out at me.

“No complaining.” She said. “This one’s called The Lotus.” She lifted her right heel into her lap and crossed her left on the other side. She nodded at me to try it. “Easy, right?”

I felt like a total idiot sitting on the floor doing yoga with her. I was just grateful there would be no photographic evidence. I was already planning what I would do to repay her next time she lost one of our bets.

“Okay, now try this one.” She said, lowering her forearms to the floor and extending one leg behind her. “The Lizard.” She said as she bent her opposite leg and brought it up toward her shoulders. I didn’t move to copy the position, but instead sat back against the couch and admired her ass. Yoga pants truly were God’s gift to men.

“I’m loving the Lizard, babe.” I said, cocking my head to the side in hopes my eyes would soon be able to determine if she was wearing any panties. She glanced over her shoulder, and I didn’t bother trying to make like I wasn’t staring. She flattened out onto her stomach and rolled to her back, the giggles bubbling up out of her lips.

The car behind me honked, and I let my foot off the brake. The song on the radio was interrupted by my phone ringing through again, SyCo Offices CALLING scrolled across the screen. “This is Niall.” I said after pressing the button.

“Niall, it’s John.”  I sighed. John was my least favorite of our management team. He was sort of an indirect type of guy, and I had no patience for it. Usually, when he was calling, there wasn’t good news.

“John. Howareya?” I said, not really caring.

“Not so great, I’m afraid.” He said, his tone overly dramatic. “Listen, the reason I am calling is that I just spoke with Angela over at The Sun and she said someone came in today shopping a photo of you with your girlfriend. The Sun offered £5,000, but the person hasn’t yet taken the deal.”

“Fucking paps.” I said. “Excuse me.” I quickly added, knowing I shouldn’t speak so familiarly with John. I was already anticipating the call I was going to have to place to Roxy.

“No Niall, she was very clear that it was a personal photo.” John said. My hands gripped the wheel tightly and I let out a breath. Fuck.

“Right then. Thanks for the heads-up John. I will take care of it.”

“Wait, I’ve been asked to tell you…” John started, but I hung up the call and turned the wheel sharply, cutting out of the line and onto the street. The anger started to well up in my chest, and I felt the heat of it on my face as I weaved through the mid-day traffic.