Chapter Fifty Two

Chapter Fifty-Two 

Niall’s POV

An involuntary sigh escaped her lips as she finally settled back into her seat and tucked her bag beneath her. We had made it. In a few short minutes, we’d be in the air, and in a little over an hour, we’d be on the ground in Dublin.

Neither she nor I felt totally prepared for the coming weeks, but it really didn’t matter at all. It was Christmas vacation, and I was off the clock.  If there were any problems in London, I’m sure my phone would ring. I was hoping it didn’t. I just wanted to relax, visit with my friends and family, eat my ma’s cooking and parade my girl around. I took her hand into mine as the air hostess brought around bottled water. Roxy had already kicked her shoes off and stretched her legs out across my lap, and had wadded up her jacket into a pillow.  She obviously didn’t care to take advantage of the amenities offered by British Airways, or to behave any differently in Business Class than she ever did in Economy.

She’d been working her arse off these last couple of days, getting things planned for the move, meeting with the designer, wrapping Christmas gifts and getting our luggage sorted. Even as the car waited outside my flat to take us to the airport, she had been in a mild panic about the things she may have forgotten to pack. I was forced to push her out the door, promising that whatever she did forget, we could just buy along the way.

She was still fast asleep as the plane began its descent. I ran my finger tip over her candycane sock, just at the arch of her foot. She jerked her leg quickly, my hand instinctively flying downward to protect my man-parts. “Careful.” I said.

She took a second to get her bearings, still startled from my abrupt wake-up. “Are we landing?” she said, stretching her arms over her head and looking out the window; the clouds obstructing any possible view of the ground. “I need some coffee.” She said, just as the airhostess brought around the to-go cup I’d asked for. I handed it Roxy. 

“You’re pretty predictable.” I smiled as she gulped down the drink.

“You’re pretty awesome.” She replied, clearing the sleep from the corners of her eyes.

Roxy’s POV

Niall gripped my hand as we exited the plane, leading us quickly up the ramp. I was a little nervous to be travelling without security, but at the same time, it was really nice. There were no complicated plans, no checkpoints. No waiting around. Apart from hearing our names being whispered and sometimes yelled as we walked through the terminal, it felt almost as if we were normal.

We even waited in line to pick up the rental car.

“We should be there in about an hour, depending on traffic.” Niall muttered, eyeing his watch as we stood between the rope barricades, taking a few steps forward as the line moved. “I’ll give my father a call when…” he stopped and turned, a tiny voice having said his name. “Hey Pal!” he said, crouching down to be at eye-level with the blonde-haired boy.

After having mustered the courage to speak to Niall, the kid was now tongue-tied. “Have ya been a good lad this year?” Niall said as the child’s father looked on. The boy nodded slowly as the line moved up, and the agent waved us over.

“I’ll go.” I said. “Is it under my name or yours?”

“Yours, I think.”

I pulled my ID from my wallet and handed it to the woman behind the counter, and continued to watch Niall as she typed away, her long fingernails clicking on the keyboard confirming our reservation. “What did ya ask Santy for?” he said to the boy, placing his hand on his tiny shoulder so the boy’s father could snap a photo. The child spoke so softly, I couldn’t hear his answer. But, whatever it was made Niall laugh.