Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-Five 

Roxy’s POV

I groaned under my breath as I fished my headphones from my bag to find them a tangled mess. My fingers went to work unraveling the cord as the loudspeaker sounded mind the gap.  The car was mostly empty.  I tucked my tote bag between my heels as I took a seat, popped my earbuds in and watched out the window as the fluorescent lights barely illuminated the dingy brick walls of the Underground.

I was grateful to be out of the office today, but wasn’t exactly looking forward to this meeting in North London, either. I was just feeling a bit off. Ryan was probably still lounging about in his sweats, slowly unpacking his stuff that arrived last night.  I had taken an hour to write up a list of things he should explore today, but found he’d used the slip of paper as a coaster instead.  I found out this morning from Niall that Ryan was going to be given an exclusive tour of the city today by none other than Zayn. Funny, he didn’t mention it. I should have known those two would gravitate toward one another.

He was three and a half years younger than me, but looked about that much older. Ryan’s the type of guy who is fiercely loyal, and will always find a way to make you laugh when you need it. Other than that, he is totally non-committal; Mister Mystery.  It can be maddening sometimes, but I’ve grown used to it over the years. I’m already starting to worry a bit about what he’s going to get up to in London, and I’ve done myself in a bit by giving access to my social circle. I closed my eyes and tried not to get ahead of myself.

The music in my ears was interrupted by the sound of an incoming text from Niall.

What time are you off? Planning a night out for your brother. He’s due for some craic.

I smiled at my screen, clicked out a quick reply and closed my eyes again, my shoulders swaying slightly as the car moved along the track. Ordinarily, a train ride made for excellent people watching, but there weren’t too many midday riders on this particular day. Plus, the last time I let my eyes wander, I was met with the stare of someone that recognized me. I’ve never been awkward talking to strangers, but this is different.  To some people, I am no longer a stranger.  It’s a hell of a thing to wrap your brain around.  

I stepped inside my apartment and swung the door shut dramatically. “Fucking finally.” I grumbled. My stupid meeting had run over by two hours, the last half hour of which was just dragging on and on, almost as if the people wanted to be stuck there. My excellent luck continued, and it took me nearly an hour to get home. Niall stood up from the couch to greet me. I probably looked a mess. “I should have just had you come get me. That was ridiculous.” I spat.

He checked his watch absentmindedly, but the action didn’t help my mood. I was absolutely starved, and I was sure everyone had already eaten dinner by now. I tossed my tote on the floor and headed for my bedroom in a huff.

“Roxy.” He said softly. “I’m sorry you had a rough day, babe.”

“Thanks.” I replied. “But I now I just want to hurry up and get to the bar.” I realized that in all of the rushing, I had forgotten to check in with my brother.  “Fuck. Where’s my fucking phone?”  I was frustrated, and hungry. Not a good combination.

“Baby.” Niall stopped me, gripping my waist and turning me toward him. “You don’t have to rush like this. It’s not a big deal. Ryan’s with the boys, they’re probably not even missing us. Take your time.” His tone was calm, reassuring.  He took my face in both of his hands and pressed a hard, lingering kiss to my lips. I felt my shoulders relax a little, as I pulled back.

“You’re right.” I whispered.

He left his hands on my face. “Of course I’m right.” He brought his lips back to mine and inched forward, pressing himself against me in a way that forced me to step backward in order to keep my balance. Soon, I felt the hard wood of the dining table at my back, the force of our movement making it screech across the floor a couple of inches. My hands flew up to the crook of his elbows, and I pulled him away from my face so I could catch my breath.