HC 9/ Flying lessons

Piper POV

It was a Saturday morning. No plans for that day. Me and the other six were hanging out around the ping pong table in the big house. It was too hot to be outside. They were playing truth or dare, eating snacks (mostly Fonzies) and just having fun.

"Piper." Percy said. "Truth or dare?"

"Uh..." I thought. I had already been dared to do some pretty crazy stuff. "Truth?"

Percy thought. They had been playing for a while now and it was becoming hard to think of good truths.

"If you could have any superpower in the world," he started. "besides charmspeaking of course, what would you choose?"

"Well." I started. "I've actually always wanted to fly. I think that would be cool."

They continued to play until dinner.

*.*.*.*.*

Later that evening...

Jason and I were alone, standing on the porch of his cabin,looking over at the lake.

"So you want to fly?" Jason asked out of the blue.

I shrugged.

"Yeah, I guess." I started. "I always thought it would be so cool. So magical."

"Well you can fly." Jason said.

I looked at him.

"Jason, just because you can fly doesn't mean everyone can." I said, laughing a bit.

His lip twitched.

"Yes you can." he said. "C'mon. I'll show you!"

He grabbed my wrist and dragged me up the ladder to the top of the roof. His cabin was the tallest, almost as tall as the big house.

"Jason, what are you doing?" I asked. 

He grinned.

"Giving you a flying lesson."

He led me to the edge of the roof. We were only about 25 feet up, but the ground seemed miles below.

"On the count of three, we're going to jump off of this roof." He instructed.

"Jason." I said nervously.

"Don't worry." He replied. "I'll be with you the whole way."

He wrapped his arms around me and I did the same.

"One..." He counted. "Two... Three!"

I didn't want to jump, but my trust in Jason allowed me to let myself fall off the edge.

For a few seconds, I fell and I doubted Jason. Then I felt his arms tighten around me and I felt myself rising.

My eyes were shut tightly, but now I slowly let my eyelids flutter open. It was beautiful. We were already high up. I could see almost all of camp from here. We flew over the lake, the moon shining over us. It took all of my will not to start singing "A Whole New World"

I whooped in delight. I had flown with Jason before, of course, but only in life and death situations. This was something else. This was magical.