one → kissing in the rain

the ringing of the alarm filled conor's room, his hand aimlessly trying to find the snooze button. he groaned in annoyance, rubbing the sleep from his eyes in the process.

after a solid five minutes of looking at the ceiling, he unwrapped himself from his covers and made his way into the bathroom. he quickly handled his business and was once again back in his room looking for clothes to wear.

as simple as the task was, he couldn't find the right shirt to go with his jeans. when he finally decided upon a regular gray tshirt, a small blonde figure came bursting through the door.

"goo- oh, i'm so sorry!" she squeaked, noticing that the boy was only half dressed.

"it's alright, you can look now." conor laughed, slipping the shirt over his head. the girl let her eyes peek through her fingers to make sure before uncovering them fully.

conor went to a drawer, picking up some socks and then back to his bedside where his shoes sat. he slipped on his socks, then shoes, sending ashley a confused look as she was staring at him, not blinking.

"earth to ashley. what are you doing here?" he asked, not that he minded her presence but it was rare for her to show up so early in the morning on a school day.

"oh, i was just thinking we could walk to school together." she stated as he nodded.

"sure, let's go."

they exited his room and headed down the stairs, making a beeline towards the front door. conor picked his bookbag from the ground before turning to face ashley.

"do you want breakfast or something?" conor asked, pointing his finger towards the kitchen.

"no thanks." she shook her head, her blonde curls swinging slightly.

conor raised his eyebrows in surprise. ashley would never turn down breakfast, it was her favorite meal of the day.

"are you sure? i can make us some pancakes." he offered again which ashley declined.

"i'm not hungry." she said, walking out the door before conor could ask her any questions. conor walked behind her, thinking of anything that could have made her decline pancakes. especially ones that would be freshly made.

as much as ashley wanted those pancakes, she hadn't had much of an appetite in days.

she'd been dating a guy for about four months and half when she caught him cheating on her with one of the cheerleaders. she knew from the start that their relationship probably wasn't going to last long but it didn't hurt any less.

she hadn't even told the guys because she felt embarrassed, like she wasn't good enough.

they walked in silence, not an awkward silence, but a comfortable one. it was something that ashley loved about their friendship, everything was so much easier with conor.

soon enough, the school building was coming into view. conor and ashley looked at each other, smiles forming on their faces.

"race you there?" conor asked.

"see you there!" ashley teased as she broke into a sprint.

"you cheated!" conor yelled, running behind her trying to catch up to her.

once they were inside the building, they broke into a fit of laughter as they made their way towards their lockers. luckily for them, they were right next to each other.

"you only won because i let you." ashley said, making conor roll his eyes.

"keep telling yourself that, ash." he teased, as she nodded.

"i will."

conor shut his locker and turned around, his back pressed against it. his eyes wandered around the hall, looking for both of their other friends, felix and wendell.

instead, his eyes landed on the guy, who was supposed to be ashley's boyfriend, locking lips with another girl. conor felt his stomach twist and tried his best not confront him.

"hey, ashley, isn't that your boyfriend?" conor asked quietly, trying to only keep it between him and the blonde beside him.

ashley's shoulders tensed as she slowly turned around to find her ex-boyfriend kissing the girl he cheated on her with. even though they had already broken up a week ago, the pain still lingered. she could feel the tears pooling her eyes as she turned to face her locker.

"we broke up." she mumbled, the words settling in between them.

conor didn't know what to say, his lips opening and closing as he tried to form the right words to say. ashley just shook her head and plastered on a fake smile, stopping him from saying whatever he was going to say.

"i'll catch you later." she said, before quickly walking towards the doors.

conor watched as her blonde curls bounced behind her, words still trying to form in his head. ashley exited the school building, her shoulders sagging.

conor looked over at the guy, who was now looking at him. conor shook his head and followed ashley's footsteps out the door. he could see her walking in the way they had came from.

"ashley, wait up!" he called out, running to catch up with her.

the closer his footsteps could be heard, the faster ashley walked. at this point, the tears were already falling and she couldn't make them stop.

"ashley." conor spoke, putting his hand on her shoulder to stop her.

ashley turned to face him, looking at him expectantly. the words were still trying to form in his head when thunder rumbled above their heads.

they turned to look at the dark clouds slowly swallowing up the blue sky.

"don't cry, ash, he's not worth it." conor spoke, wiping the tears from her face.

"it still hurts." she responded, leaning her face into the warmth of his touch.

"yeah, it does, but he's the one missing out."

"not on much." she muttered under her breath.

"don't say that. you're an amazing girl and any guy would be lucky to call you theirs. i'd kill to have someone like you." he said, his heart pounding in his chest.

the knots in his stomach were returning, but for a different reason this time.

ashley gave him a small smile as small wayer droplets began to drop from the sky. conor stared into her eyes, searching for some kind of permission. he slowly leaned in, ashley doing the same before they met each other in the middle.

the rain began to fall a little harder, the sound of thunder looming even closer than before. they pulled apart, big happy smiles on both of their faces.

"you don't know how long i've wanted to do that." he whispered, his hair beginning to fall flat against his forehead because of the rain.

"i didn't think of you as the guy who would want to kiss in the rain." she laughed, in response as he pushed her gently.

"i have my moments."

"that you do." she agreed, pulling him into another kiss. 

[rewritten: 07/25/20]