Chapter 44

This half of my chapter is dedicated to @bloomandsky for being such an active and respectful follower and reader.

***

I sit in the hospital room for the hundredth time this year, waiting. I stare directly at Evan and he stares back, waiting. He drops his gaze from my eyes to his hands and I sigh.

"You know, we will have to talk about this eventually." I speak.

He doesn't look up. "Will we?"

"You are being so childish." I cross my arms and glare at him.

"Am I?" He asks and turns his attention to the window overlooking Magix.

"Evan, please." I beg, looking at him expectantly.

He doesn't move. He just continues to stare out the window.

"You know what?" I sigh and stand up. I swing my purse over my shoulder and zip my jacket up. "I don't even know why I come here anymore. That is the most you have said to me in weeks."

I turn to leave.

"You did this to me, don't act like such a victim."

I stop dead in my tracks and feel a lump growing in my throat. My hands shake at the mention of that summer.

One Year Earlier

I fly as fast as I can, trying desperately to get to the hospital while carrying my half dead boyfriend.

Please don't die.

I restarted his heart an hour ago. He woke up, he was fine. And then it happened again. He passed out, his heart stopped. And I knew his body couldn't take anymore lightning.

So the Magix hospital was my only option.

***

The doctors say he is in a coma.

I have been sitting by his bedside for days.

I am sacrificing our mission for him.

I haven't been back to earth in a week. The girls have been texting me with our homework and stuff but I haven't done any. I am tired of it. I am tired of keeping this charade up. I just want to get Believix and go back to Alfea.

But we are running out of time.

I have to go back to Alfea.

So I left.

***

"We need to finish this mission," I say in a monotone as I enter our place.

"You're back!" Jenna jumps up from the couch and hugs me.

I hug her back and smile as the rest of the girls gather around me.

"We were just about to go to school, are you ready to go back?" Diana asks me.

"I think so, lets go." I nod and we leave the house.

***

I try to focus on the test paper in front of me, but somehow I can't. My mind is everywhere but the test. I suddenly feel my stomach drop. Something bad is going to happen, I can feel it.

"Ten minutes left." Miss Carmichael announces from the front of the room and I groan. 

I have answered one question in half an hour. Great.