Chapter 19

CHAPTER 19

Morgan's POV:

“For the last time, no!” Jet shouted, struggling to hide his exasperation at my unwavering persistance. His face became redder as his irritation with me increased steadily.

“Why not?” I replied bitterly. I had not expected Jet to be so opposed to my proposition.

“Because I said no,” he answered. I looked down at the ground, afraid to meet his eyes. I knew that I should change the subject, but all I wanted to do was speak to the boy. I desperately wanted to meet the one person who could understand exactly what I was going through. “Look Morgan, it is dangerous and we don’t even know if he is an Invortomist like you. For all we know, it could be an elaborate hoax.”

“Jet, we'll never know anything if we don’t try to find him.” I could not understand what Jet’s problem with my plan was. Of course, there was the matter of the people who were after me, but they would continue searching for me no matter what. It would be impossible to hide forever and if Jet agreed, I would have him for protection. They would not stand a chance against him. My powers were becoming stronger each day, but I had never used them outside the training facility; despite my lack of training, I felt that it was time to it. An altercation would be the only true test of my abilities.

“I'm going to try to find out more information about him, but that is the best that I can do for now Morgan. We can’t risk putting you into any unnecessary danger.”

“But it is necessary Jet,” I pleaded. He shot me a warning look which immediately silenced my protests as Olivia approached from our left. I instantly stopped talking, knowing that Olivia would be thoroughly opposed to my plan and would do anything to stop it.

“Did you finish preparing Morgan's timetable?” she asked. Jet pulled out an expandable paper folder from his bag and handed her a printed sheet.

“We were just about to do some more weather manipulation training as you can see. You could come and watch if you would like,” Jet offered. It was obvious that he was hoping that she would not take him up on his offer as was I, I did not want to disappoint her with my abilities so I was glad when she answered.

“I'm very sorry, but I can’t right now. I certainly will take you up on that offer another day though,” she replied. Her eyes carefully scanned through the schedule as if she was memorizing it. “I must go now, but this schedule appears to be a solid schedule and I'm sure you will produce fantastic results with it.” She turned to look at me, I felt as if her eyes pentrated through my body and into my soul as she spoke. “I am expecting big things from you.”

“I guess we better go and practice then,” Jet said as he realised that he was now five minutes behind schedule. Olivia smiled at us as she walked towards her office, but something about the curve of her lips did not look right, it was forced. I had a knack for knowing when people were hiding things from me and that appeared to be one of those situations.

We made our way to the woods once more. It was a big enough space so that I could train without being disturbed, but not too large that I could become disorientated. The towering trees also blocked out any possible distractions, allowing me to concentrate solely on my task at hand.

“What are we doing today?” I asked curiously.

“I want to calculate how hard you need to focus your mind for this power to work. I also want to see if it requires the same level of memory for each emotion or if some are trigger the reactions quicker than others,” he explained carefully as he scribbled final notes into his book. He was always so prepared for our training sessions, all I had to do was show up and do what he told me to do. Without a single complaint he would encourage me in my endevaours as he filled pages of notes detailing my efforts and the often ineffective results.