Chapter 29

CHAPTER 29

MORGAN'S POV:

I had talked with Gorran late into the night. To my utter amazement, there was no tension between us. Despite never having met him before, it seemed as if he were an old friend whom I had not spoken to in some years. We were both trying to judge each others reactions before we spoke, calculate the advantages of revealing certain details. At the same time, the conversation flowed easily as we recounted our past and how we had discovered our powers.

I was enthralled by stories of his younger years with his family and his horror was evident as I recounted how I had fended for myself from a young age.

Our history was polar opposite- nothing joined us together, however our present linked us and our future would unite us. We would become a force to be reckoned with. I could tell that there would be tough times ahead, but I already felt a connection with him due to our shared powers.

Between us, we had a total of six unrelated powers that would help us in future missions. I brought three to the mix- weather manipulation, super speed and of course my least used power aquatic breathing. Gorran had already demonstrated all three of his powers to me- telekinesis, invisibility and super strength which he had reserved for last. Jet, April and I had sat on a table and watched in amazement as Gorran lifted it easily from the opposite side of the room using a combination of his strength and telekinsis. I had not yet learnt how to combine my powers. 

The alarm beside me buzzed and I rolled onto my side to reach towards it and turn it off. I was eager to begin our first joint training and I had already been anticipating the alarm ring. I stood up with suprising energy. I searched through my unpacked bags for a comfortable tracksuit and t-shirt.

As I closed the door of my room, or apartment I should say, Gorran strolled past me.

"How did you enjoy your first night in England Morgan?" he asked kindly.

"It was very nice. The room is massive, isn't it? We had nothing like that in America," I laughed.

"You'll be used to it soon. We have training first and then unfortunately we have tutoring later. We had secret agents now, I don't understand why we have to learn about historical battles or the erradic shifting of crustal plates," he exclaimed, but suddenly looked embarrassed.

"I guess it could help somehow. I don't know if it ever helps anyone though, but I guess we'll just have to focus on our training first. Do you know what we are doing today?" I questioned as we descended the blue carpeted steps together.

"I don't but I have a feeling that they are not planning on starting with an easy one."

"Well that is probably for the best. When we start getting missions, they are not going to be easy," I thought out loud.

"It's strange to think that although we just met, we already have plans to work together. My future as a secret agent depends on you as does yours," he blushed as he spoke his words of truth.

"Well then I hope you'll be a great agent because I'm sure my life will be in your hands at some point," I said, as I thought back on the many near death experiences which I already had.

"You too," he grinned cheekily back at me as we reached the training room. He held the door open for me as I entered. Jet and April immediately stopped talking as we entered but I could see the visible signs of tension etched across Jet's face.

"What do you have planned today?" Gorran asked.

"We were thinking we could start on a power challenge. Gorran you can move objects but have never tried to control nature with your mind. Morgan you can control the weather, but you have never had to compete for that ability," April began.

"We are going to go outside. Morgan we want you to create a cloudy sky, and Gorran you must try to move those clouds far across the sky. Morgan, your job is to use your weather manipulation to keep it exactly where it is. Are you ready?" Jet asked.

"Remember this is not an experiment, it is just a trial," April added. Gorran winked at me indicating that he still thought differently.

I concentrated hard on the area above me, soon the sky overhead began to fill with soft, cotton-ball clouds. I smiled at the small success. I looked over at Gorran and I could see the beads of sweat breaking out across his forehead as he stared intently at the cloud. He had no chance of moving it, I thought, nature is difficult to control.

My lack of concentration had enabled him to do it however. The first cloud began to shift slowly upwards and then away from me, to his left. He was outdoing me at my first training session. With renowned dedication, I looked at the cloud he had just moved and cause it to disperse as if it had never been there. This continued for several minutes- I'd create a cloud, Gorran would move it away and I would concentrate on it causing it to disappear. 

"Well done guys, you can both stop now," Jet shouted trying to catch our attention. The sky began to return to its previous undisturbed state as we made our way back to our trainers. 

"That was very impressive!" April said encouraging us. Jet's phone began to ring, his eyes flashed to April and once she understood the unspoken message she nodded her head to the building inside.

Jet ran inside as he spoke into the phone, speaking in a hushed voice.

"Something is wrong," Gorran whispered to me, his voice was lightly laced with fear. "I have seen him like this before."

After a short time, Jet ran out and urged April to come inside. He gestured that we should stay outside. Something was wrong, I knew it. The fear which was growing inside Gorran, did nothing to lessen my unease.

It did not take long until we learned the contents of that phone call. It was time, and we had no choice in it.