Chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

Morgan's POV:

I awoke to a quiet, but highly persistent knocking on my door. I struggled to suppress my annoyance as I slowly unravelled myself from my thick, luxurious duvet cover.

As I opened the door, I was greeted by Jet standing in the door-frame, a broad grin visible on his childlike face which suggested that he was about to reveal good information.

“Olivia has called an important meeting. We should be there right now,” he exclaimed as he noted that I was still dressed in my pyjamas. His eyebrow rose slightly to try get his point across to me.

“I guess that I should probably change then.” Jet nodded his head before exiting the room and closing the door so that I could have the privacy that I required.

Olivia was one of the highest ranking people in The CIA. It had been her decision to recruit me in the first place; and at any moment, she could decide to send me back to fend for myself on the streets of New York. I was acutely aware that I needed to make a good impression, but I had never attended an important meeting previously. In fact, I had never even been to a meeting.

After much deliberation, I decided on a pair of black skinny jeans with a pale purple knitted jumper. It was casual but not overly. It was far better than the selection of training outfits that I could have chosen from, there were few other varieties of clothing in my wardrobe.

“Is this okay?” I asked. Jet was standing to the left side of the door. He barely glanced at me or registered my question, but the frantic look on his face as he stared unnervingly down at his watch demonstrated just how late we were.

“You are fine Morgan, however Olivia hates when people are late and we most certainly are already,” he explained as we ran down the stairs and past the reception area. We headed towards a large building with huge glass windows. Despite the blaring sun outside, the delicate blinds covered each window to assure that the contents of the meetings which were held inside the four walls remained a secret.

“I need you to leave all the talking to me and if Olivia speaks to you, you must call her Miss Jones,” Jet ordered. I nodded to show that I understood as he pushed open the large door.

We then entered into a room filled with chairs of every type. Jet pressed rapidly on the keyboard which was attached to the solid metal door. The door opened automatically as soon as he had finished inputting the code. It swung back to reveal a room that I had never been in before. It was a room that I would never have been able to imagine or believe had I not been looking at it.

There was a large mahogany table which took up the centre of the room. Small but comfortable leather covered chairs formed two straight lines along the edges of the tables. The walls of the room were lined with every type of machine ever invented. The silver on each of them shone brightly as I stared at each in turn, trying my hardest to correctly ascertain what role each of them played.

I followed slowly behind Jet and sat between him and Olivia as he apologised profusely to her for our tardiness. She just nodded which showed that she was less than impressed by our late arrival.

“We can now begin. Everyone, this is Morgan Darcy Foster, our newest recruit, but also one of our most promising.” I blushed as she spoke. I turned my mind back to the machines and I tried to guess what the use of each button was as she continued. The attention was already making me uncomfortable, I was not used to being the centre of attention. “Yesterday, we discovered that she possesses a third power which we had not been prepared for. Aquatic breathing!” Gasps were audible all around the table as the strangers marvelled at my new power. Some looked at me as if they thought that I might suddenly sprout a second head. This caused me to become even more self-conscious that I had been previously. I wanted to know everything that they said about me, but at the same time, I did not want to hear any of it.