CHAPTER 11: Welcomed by Evil Arms into the Fiery Abyss

My mother and I had arrived to the river of lost souls where the gatekeeper and Azarus were waiting to take me. The river of lost souls was a river of fire and the sounds of agonizing pain. The river was filled with moans and groans of the deceased with unworthy souls. The gatekeeper wore a lengthy hooded gray cloak. He himself was practically a skeleton; his red skin was so sunk in where deep, dark, purple veins surfaced, and his horns pointed outward instead of straight. His skin seemed decayed with pot holes. The image of him scared me, but I felt some sense of anxiety...a warm anxiety. The spirit inside of me must have felt overjoyed, ready to take control, ready to obtain its fate. With every step the warm anxiety grew, and went from anxiety to impatience. I hoped it wouldn't make itself known in this place, a place that would be its natural habitat, a place that I would be most uncomfortable.

When my eyes settled on the man who I know knew was Azarus, I couldn't stop the scowl from appearing on my face. He on the other hand seemed quite amused. He had a sarcastic smile on his face and his sinister red eyes had a coy look to them as he gave me a small wave. I already knew by his demeanor that this would be an interesting ride. Hopefully it wouldn't be a long one.

Before I climbed onto the black, cryptic looking boat that had broken black wings, where the gatekeeper and Azarus were waiting, I gave mother a hug. I had wished she could come with me, but because she was an angel, she was too pure for that. When I climbed on the boat I sat across from Azarus, as the boat started to move off my mother waved me off and then when we were far enough, she walked away.

"Angels are so emotional," Azarus said annoyed and rested his head on his hand. I raised a brow and snarled as I crossed my arms. So it began.

"Well...at least with us we know the others care."

"Is that so? Do those angels that call you an abomination care? And we demons have a way of caring."

"Most likely through sin."

"Exactly." He leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees. For some reason I found him alluring, I didn't know why. I oddly found him attractive. I had no idea if it was because of this demonic entity inside me or if that was merely an effect demons had, or something he could do personally. "You're not as naive as you look."

I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes. Why was I acting this way? I would never be so rude to anyone. Was it because of where I was or what was inside me? Or was I just simply tired of it all? "You're as evil as you look."

"Oh?" he smiled. He was enjoying this. "Why thank you. I would take that as a complement but I know you don't mean it that way. Why would you think I'm evil? I have done nothing to you or your mother to be classified as such. Just merely a messenger and a delivery boy. I didn't bestow you're beautifully disastrous gift upon you. My father did. I did not wreck havoc on your beloved city. My father did. And I did not make your mother feel the need she has to lie. So am I really the one you should call evil?"

I felt my eyebrows furrow and looked elsewhere. "I suppose not."

He sat back and crossed his legs, looking amused and accomplished. "So, do I get a sorry, Silver?"

It felt odd hearing my name hissing from his full pink lips, the same lips that kissed me. "I apologize."

"Now if you be a perfect good girl here, we won't have any problems."

I scoffed, "Sure."

Some time went by as we went across the river of lost souls. It bothered me but yet pleased me at the same time to hear the agonizing, painful pleas, of loss and grief. They were in such deep sadness and regret; it slightly pleased me that their sins and wrong doings were being punished. I thought it would be a quiet ride until he spoke again.