Chapter 17: On the hill

"Well, then. I have to bandage you up." Lucia said to Clemens

"What? No, I was just joking." Clemens said.

"Don't worry. It will be fine." She looked at Clemens' arm and saw a giant scrape. Lucia kissed it.

"It feels better already." Clemens joked. Lucia laughed, her first since everything happened. Lucia tore off more of her shirt and wrapped it around his arm.

"Clemens, can I ask you a personal question?" Lucia asked.

"If I can ask you one."

"Deal. So, why do you like my smile so much?"

"Because your eyes sparkle and your face lights up. When you smile you are happy. That is all that I care about, your happiness."

Lucia blushed.

"Lucia . . . Why do you love me?"

"What do you mean?"

"I am just some slave boy. Why do you love me?"

"I love you because you care about my happiness more than anything. As long as I am with you, I am happy." Lucia leaned in close to Clemens and kissed him on the lips.

Meanwhile, Poppaea and Quintus were getting to know each other. They were sitting on the other side of the hill.

"You are so brave and strong. The way you fearlessly carried me." Poppaea said all flirty.

"Well, thank you." Quintus said and he flexed his muscles. Poppaea cuddled into Quintus' shoulder and ran her fingers through his hair.

Clemens and Lucia walked over to them, hands intertwined.

"Guys, what are we going to do?" Lucia asked, as she and Clemens sat down next to them.

"Wait, the girl Quintus rescued was Poppaea?" Clemens asked, seeing the girl's face for the first time.

"So this was the girl you were with?" Lucia asked, upset.

"Settle down. I don't want to cause any trouble. Anyway, I am with Quintus now." Poppaea said and kissed Quintus on the cheek.

"So, in the morning we should go to Aunt Stella's. The lava should be gone by then. For now we should get some sleep." Quintus said.

Clemens and Lucia went back to their side of the hill, and lay down on the grass, staring at the stars.

"Clemens are you awake?"

"No." Clemens groggily said.

Lucia kissed him lightly on the lips.

"What was that for?"

"I am just sad. About my parents."

"Then you came to the right place." Clemens wrapped his arms around Lucia. They sat in a comfortable silence, tears streaming from both of their eyes.