Chapter 13: a sliver of hope

The next morning, Lucia said goodbye to her cousins. Ever since Alexander and Flavia were able to get married, they have never left the other's side. Lucia hugged Flavia and promised to visit soon.

*******************************************************************************************

Lucia entered her house and breathed in the familiar smells of her home. She brought her bags to her room and unpacked.  She carefully placed her clay figures on her desk, and finished unpacking. Then she picked up her clay figures and went to see her friends and give them their gifts.

Meanwhile, Melissa was trying to find Clemens and give him the note from Lucia. First she looked in the kitchen.

"Hey, Melissa, how was the trip? Did you miss me?" Grumio flashed a toothy grin as he came up behind her. Melissa turned around.

"Oh, hello Grumio! The trip was good, and yes, I  missed you. A lot." Melissa smiled and kissed Grumio on his dry skinned cheek. Melissa ran her fingers through his greasy hair. Grumio put his big hands on her shoulders and pulled her close to him. She could smell his breath. It smelled like garlic. Grumio leaned in pressed his chapped lips against Melissa's moist lips. Grumio's beard scratched Melissa's mouth.

"Hey, Boo! What should we-" Poppaea walked in the kitchen and saw her 'Boo' kissing Melissa.

"Grumio! What is going on here?" Melissa and Poppaea said in unison.

"Um . . . Poppaea . . . I  have to tell you something. I  never loved you!" Grumio did a hair flip and dramatically left the room.

"But what about what you said before?" Poppaea asked him, but he had already left. A tear rolled down her cheek and her bottom lip started quivering. Melissa wanted to comfort Poppaea, but she was glad that Grumio liked her. Poppaea ran out of their room, her blonde hair blowing behind her. This time, Clemens wasn't there to soothe her.

Then Melissa remembered why she entered the kitchen in the first place. She looked around the house and found Clemens in the dining room, reading a poem.

"Clemens!"

"Oh, hey Melissa." Melissa and Clemens did friendly hug.

"Clemens, I  know why you are sad," Melissa said, and when Clemens looked confused she added, "Here, take this." Melissa handed the scrap of paper to Clemens. Clemens eyes sparkled and he grinned when he read the note.

I 'll see you in the garden at 2 o'clock. I  love you!

It was the note that Lucia gave Clemens a while ago.

Clemens looked at the clock on the wall. It was 1:55. Clemens dropped his feather duster and made his way to the garden.

A/N

There are about 6 chapters left in this story. (I havent written them yet) thank you so much if you have read this far in my book. It is my first real story and it helps to know that people are reading it.

Thank you!