Chapter Three: A trip that could change everything

For the next couple of days, Caecilius made sure that Clemens and Lucia didn't see each other. They were dying to see each other, even just a glimpse of the other's lovely face, but they knew if they were caught, they would never see each other again.
So Lucia tried to distract herself. She would hang out with her friends in the market and go to every play in the theater. It was almost working. But every night she couldn't not think about him. She had dreams that she and Clemens were together, but then a huge, powerful force pulled them apart. Every morning she woke up sad, and missing Clemens.
Eventually, she forgot what it was like to be in love with Clemens, because she hadn't seen him in a long time. And Clemens, too, forgot what it was like, loving Lucia.
But one day Caecilius and Metella decided to go on a trip to see Metella's sister. It was almost Saturnalia and Metella wanted to spend it with her sister.
"Everyone, please come to the atrium!" Caecilius's voice bellowed. Once everyone, including the slaves, got there, he began,
"We have decided to go on a trip. Metella, Quintus, Lucia, Melissa, and I  are going to see Metella's sister for 3 weeks. Clemens and Grumio, you will be staying here, keeping house like you usually do. " Everyone was very excited for the trip. Even Grumio, who was staying behind, had a smile on his face. Melissa, Grumio, and Clemens spent all day packing up everyone's bags. By dinnertime, everyone was ready to go. The next morning, they left.