Chapter 16: Ruined

Lucia and Quintus were walking back from the market, where they bought stuff with their Saturnalia money. They were excited, talking about what they would do with their items. The walked around the corner to their house when the ground started shaking. Pieces of rubble were falling from the houses. Ash was dancing in the air.

"Lucia, we have to run." Quintus said, taking his big brother role.

"But what about our family?" Lucia asked, tears already forming in her eyes.

"Would you rather die too?"

"I am sorry, brother. But I must go save Clemens."

"Lucia, he isn't worth it!"

"Yes he is! He is the best thing that ever happened to me! And before you ask, I would rather die with him than live without him!" Tears were running from Lucia's eyes. She ran toward the house, dodging falling rubble. Quintus muttered something about sisters, and how annoying they are, then took off after her.

Grumio and Melissa were cooking a peacock in the kitchen together. Well, have the time cooking. The other half they were flirting and kissing each other.

Grumio was putting his hand on Melissa's waist to pull her closer, but she slapped it away.

"I will only kiss you when you finish making the sauce for the peacock." Melissa sternly said, tired of Grumio's games. Grumio stole a kiss on her cheek when the room started shaking. Melissa fell into Grumio's arms and they held each other tight. Ruble was falling from the ceiling.

"You know what, I will kiss yo-" Grumio stopped Melissa's babbling by kissing her on the lips. Melissa melted into the kiss. They kissed with all of the love and power they had, because they knew this would be their last. They were about to separate when a giant piece of the ceiling fell on them.
They died in each other's arms.
They died with their lips touching.
They died loving the other with all of their hearts.

Lucia ran through the house, looking for Clemens. She found him in the study, writing something on a piece of paper. He was tucking it in his pocket when Lucia ran in.

"Clemens, we need to go!"

"What is happening?"

"The volcano! It is erupting!"

Clemens started to get out, when a giant rock fell, blocking him from getting out.

"Lucia, I can't get out!"

But Lucia wouldn't take no for an answer. She climbed up the pile of rubble and put a hand out to Clemens. Clemens grabbed it and managed to get on the other side of the pile, with a couple of rocks hitting him.

"I am so glad you are okay!" Lucia said and kissed Clemens on the cheek.

"Uh. Guys? This is really sweet and all, but we have to go. Now." Quintus said, ruining the moment. Clemens and Lucia joined hands and began to run out of the crumbling house. They saw Metella and Caecilius huddled in a corner. Lucia ran to them to help them out, but she was too late. A huge piece of the ceiling fell on top of them. Lucia stood, shocked and tears started to flow. Clemens grabbed Lucia's hand and pulled her out of the collapsing house.

Running

Running

Running

Rocks falling

Crashing

Ash blowing in the air

Ground shaking

Triping

Falling

Get up

Or you die

They saw a frail body laying on the street. A large piece of rubble was on top of her. Quintus ran to her and picked the rubble off her. He scooped her in his arms, and they continued running.

"Where are we going?" Lucia asked.

"Aunt Stella's!" Quintus said.

"Probably not." Clemens said, gesturing toward the lava heading toward them.

"I know where to go! Follow me!" Lucia said. She turned around and ran to the hill that she went to when she was upset about her and Clemens breaking up. They quickly ran up the hill and sat down, out of breath. After catching her breath, Lucia got to bandaging them up. She started with the girl that Quintus had rescued. She had cuts and scrapes all over her body. Lucia ripped some of the cloth off her shirt sleeve and used it to wrap up the major cuts.

"Hey, nurse, I might need your help." Clemens jokingly said.

"What is it?" Lucia said, worried and she walked to Clemens.

"I need a little happiness." Clemens said, then he stood up and kissed Lucia on the cheek. Lucia smiled sadly.

"Hey, that isn't the smile that I love." Clemens said.

"Well, how am I supposed to be happy? My house just collapsed and I saw my parents die." Lucia started crying and Clemens put his arm around her.

"Well, I have something that might make you feel better," Clemens pulled a folded up piece of paper from his pocket. "I have been working on it for a while."

He unfolded the paper. It was a poem that he wrote for Lucia. Clemens read the poem to Lucia as she watched the town collapse.