Chapter 6: A Love Grows

"How come he likes you instead of me?" Flavia practically screamed at Lucia as they were walking out of the market. Lucia didn't answer, because she knew that when Flavia went on rants like this, it was best to stay out of her way.

As Flavia continued, Lucia's mind wandered off to Alexander. He was the first person she liked since Clemens. Even though she wasn't head over heels for him, like Flavia, she still liked him.

All day Lucia couldn't stop thinking about Alexander and his broad shoulders and handsome face. She was the happiest that she had been since she and Clemens got separated. She was so happy that Melissa noticed a difference in her behavior.

"Um, what is going on with you?" Melissa asked Lucia later that day.

"What do you mean?"

"You've been very, well, happy, and you always have a dreamy look in your eye."

"Oh, it is nothing."

"Oh my gosh, you are in love!"

"No! I am not!"

"Sweetie, I have been down this road several times. Spill."

"One, what do you mean by 'been down this road several times'? And two, I met this really cute boy, his name is Alexander, and he is Rufus' friend! He kissed my hand and and called me 'babe'!"

"He sounds like a player to me. Like Grumio. As soon as we met, he took a liking to me and we got together. I wonder what he is doing now? Anyway, if I know one thing about love, is that you should go for it!"

"You know what, you are right! I am going to go right now! Thank you Melissa!"

"Anytime!"

Flavia had been gone for a while, so Lucia set out to find Alexander by herself. She stopped by Rufus' room to ask if he knew where Alexander was. Rufus and Quintus where in his room.

"Um, Rufus, do you know where Alexander is?"

"I don't know, he was talking about some girl, and left."

He was talking about me! Lucia thought.

"Okay, um, where do you think I could find him?" Lucia asked. Rufus explained where Alexander lived, and soon Lucia got there.

She went up to the door, and asked the slave standing there for Alexander. The slave lead her through the house to his room.

"Lucia?" Alexander asked, surprised to see her in his doorway. The slave left, and Alexander closed the door.

"So, you just couldn't last another second without me?" Alexander asked, smiling kindly at Lucia.

"Well, kinda. I was wondering if you, ya know, um, wanted to, like, uh,"

"Go on a date? I would love to. I know the perfect spot too." Alexander smiled, his dimples showing.