Chapter 1: ...and then you die.

"Oh, Arceus..." The trainer coughed out as he lied at the bottom of a deep chasm in the collection of cold plains that Northern Sinnoh consists of. He had been scaling the great Mt. Coronet in the hopes of reaching the top, the legendary Spear Pillar. It had been a treacherous journey, one filled with long hikes and vicious battles with the native Pokémon of the mountain. He had prepared himself for this expedition over the past few weeks, stocking up on various medicines and remedies at the local Pokémart. Aaron was sure that he was ready for the challenges that awaited him.

"Heh..." He chuckled grimly, staring at the growing pool of blood beneath him. "And it was a little shove that killed me in the end," he remarked cynically. He had already lost a lot of blood and a thought occurred to him suddenly.

"Oh. I can't forget about you..." He weakly muttered as he weakly reached for his belt and pulled off a black Pokeball with two yellow lines on it's upper hemisphere; an Ultra Ball. He grasped it and, with a grunt of pain, threw the ball into the air. With a flash of a white light, an inhuman creature materialized at the bottom of the cliff. A bipedal fox-like entity stood over the trainer, its long red mane almost touching the ground. Any trainer would easily recognize this creature as a Pokémon.

"Master," a voice said within the trainer's mind. "What is-" The creature finally looked down and gasped at the sight of its incapacitated master. "Master!"

The creature knelt down and supported the trainer's back to allow a small amount of comfort. The fox's eyes began to get wet as it examined the trainer's body. "Oh, no... What happened to you?"

The trainer looked back up at the creature and smiled. "Took a bad fall. Don't know if I'll be able to make it," he weakly whispered. The creature's face hardened at his words.

"Didn't you bring some kind of medicine?" At the trainer's nod, the creature grabbed the travel bag and dug through vehemently. After about thirty seconds, the creature's eyes became downcast.

"Nothing for humans! Damn it, where did all of the general first aid go!?" The concerned companion exclaimed. The trainer smiled once again and slowly raised an arm to place his hand on the creature's own right forearm.

"Remember?" he inquired, quickly losing his voice. He started coughing wildly, spitting blood onto his shirt and the ground. The creature tensed, its expression showing desperation. "Back on the path?" he wheezed out, reminding his vulpine comrade. The creature looked up for a moment, its eyes widening and filling with clarity.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the shadows of the woods, a dark creature moved swiftly through the underbrush, darting and weaving through branches and leaves. The creature resembled a fox, but looked much more menacing. Its grey and black fur blended into the darkness while it moved like a ghost, even in the sunlight above. A long, mottled mane trailed behind it, colored like fresh blood with black tips. Its wickedly sharp claws matched the color perfectly. A bright green bangle tied the bottom of its mane down to prevent it from flying everywhere, a genius stealth measure. Its eyes held a certain predatory glare that could scare the pants off of a seasoned trainer. This creature was an apex predator, its mouth curled up into a fanged smile as it neared its prey.

"Ah, there you are!" Zoey said as she finally located the scent of the particular item she was looking for. She barreled through the woods with a dopey grin on her face as she continued to track it. Her master would say she looked ridiculous, but she didn't care about that now. She was going to get something sweet.

She rounded a corner and her eyes widened. Right there before her stood a small tree, from the branches of which sprouted a pear-like fruit that made her mouth water.