Chapter 1 - Unexpected

Chapter 1

Danila

Thunder roared frequently as flashes of lightning struck athwart the gloomy sky and raindrops pounded harshly across the roof and windows of the house, trickling and sliding down the edges endlessly. The wind rushed and howled abrasively and the force caused the windows to pry open, allowing globules of rain to get through.

I jolted right up from my bed abruptly into sitting position. My heart was rapidly beating in unusual speed, beads of sweat trickled down my forehead and I was breathing immensely—all the simple signs of nightmare. I glanced to the left side of my room and watched the windows flapping profoundly on its hinges, creating irritating and creepy noise. I absentmindedly wiped the perspiration off my brow and wiped my slick finger with the end of my shirt. 

I tossed the warm, cozy sheets off me, pausing for a second to sigh. Lifting my feet off the bed, they came in contact with the soft plush carpet of the floor. I walked towards the window and forced it to close, locking together. Sighing once more, I backed against the wall and slid down, now curling in the corner. I raked my fingers through my bird nest-like hair and screeched in frustration. That memory in form of a nightmare seemed to hunt me in every night of my sleep. Was it my fault that they are all dead? I have done my best to perform my duties as their future alpha. It has already been 2 days since we moved here in Dallas, as instructed by our father for safety. 2 days since that tragic incident happened.

But I am certain that nothing will give me peace of mind until I finally brought justice to my pack and family’s death. That’s what I am doing right now, am I not? Ever since that day that I have vowed upon my parent’s grave, I trained. Coercing myself to go on so that by the time we all face, I would be ready. I may be an idiot to commit an injudicious act of fighting a group of vigorous rogues who obviously had the ability to wipe out an entire pack of dominant wolves. If the time finally come—if possible—that they had vanished from the surface of the earth, and bring peace to all the poor souls they have slaughtered heartlessly and to whom they may be bound to kill, I may finally go back on having a normal life with my sister.

My mind was completely stressed and frustrated, I need to go clear some things first so that I can think straight before going to school. Standing from my position, I glanced at the clock to find the numbers 5:08 am. I have a lot of time to take a run,

Heading towards the forest, I ran at an incredulous speed and entered the thick layers of trees. Jumping up high, I shifted in the mid-air and landed on the ground in all fours, shredding my clothes apart. I totally forgot about that. I groaned internally and pumped my legs, feeling the cool and refreshing breeze of the morning air engulfed over my face. My white fur swayed gracefully with the wind as I jumped over a log, spinning a single time in the air before landing back down to the ground.

 I ran straight so that it would be easier to go back, after all, I still am new to this woods. I have not yet completely familiarized it, but I am certain that I would in time. For once again I felt free—not only physically, but emotionally as well. As a werewolf, it is natural for us to be outdoor lovers. Taking runs into the forest is not only a habit we have gotten used to, but also our life—literally.

Following the sounds of heavy crashing water, I finally came across a huge clearing. I just stared at it, dumbfounded. It was beautiful. That isn’t exactly the appropriate word, it is magnificent.

The water came crashing down the steep slopes and sharp edges of the majestic rock formation. The ground was elevated from the ground in great towering heights that I needed to tilt my head upwards in maximum angle just to catch glimpse of the astonishing scenery before me. The water harshly settled on a wide, humongous lake creating an exquisite panorama. Taking a few steps towards the shallow part of the water, I stared down at the reflection in front of me. A modest looking she-wolf with snow-white fur and smoldering emerald green eyes watched me intently. Her ears perked up as she inclined her head to the side, following my exact move. That’s when I realized, that that wolf was me. I leaned down and drank greedily, trying to ease the dryness of my throat.

A sudden snap of a dead twig reverberated in my ears and my head jerked up in reaction. Tilting my head to examine the thick and dark layer of the trees behind me, the heavenly aroma of mingling chocolate and mint whiffed over my face and my nose twitched while trying to identify the source of the scent.

While scanning, my eyes caught glimpse of a pair of grey glowing silver eyes. They were a perfect and beautiful pair that seemed to have the power to hold me captive. It lurked upon the darkest shadows, watching my every move.

Realization struck me like lightning, this is another wolf—a werewolf to be exact. I can tell by his smell. Taking a step backwards, a growl erupted from his throat, warning me not to make another move. I snarled at him, pulling my lips back to show my elongated canines as if to tell that I won’t back out from any fight he shall start. He whimpered quietly, and then stepped out of from the shadows.

I just stared at him in awe; he was practically the most handsome wolf that I have ever encountered. His fur was the color of midnight black with equivalent swirls of white and grey. His body built was larger than mine, maybe 7’2 or so. His posture showed power and supremacy, with dazzling and intimidating eyes. He approached me slowly, and I took a step back once more. I stared into his eyes,

‘Mate’ my wolf howled. No, it can’t be….

I just stood there in shock, and then took off right away.