Chapter 9

Phil and I collapse on our bed, exhausted. "That was certainly an adventure," Phil says, staring at the ceiling. I smile, looking over at him. "It was." Phil leans up and kisses me. "I love you," he whispers when he pulls away. I blush. "I love you too."

The next morning, I'm a nervous wreck. "Come on, Phil," I say, hiding my nervousness, "let's go on another adventure." Phil grins. "Can't wait."

I lead Phil through winding passageways, up treacherous hills, and through valleys. Well, that's exaggerating a bit. We walk to a hill and hike up that.

"Ooh, it's so pretty," Phil breathes, looking out at the sunset. The Hollywood sign towers behind us, throwing us into shadow. I can barely see Phil. "Just like you," I smirk, and I can tell he's blushing. "Shut up," Phil mumbles. We're silent for a couple minutes until I decide it's time.

"Phil," I say, getting his attention. "What?" I sink down to one knee, and Phil's hand goes to his mouth.

"Philip Michael Lester. I have loved you from the moment I laid my eyes on you. I fell in love with your quirky personality, your blue eyes, your pale skin. Phil, I love you more than anything in the world, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

"Yes! Oh, Dan, I love you too."

I bring Phil into a warm embrace, kissing his pink lips. We savor the kiss for a long time. Finally, we pull away, looking into each other's eyes. "I love you." Phil's eyes sparkle. "I love you too, D-Slice."