Chapter 1

WARNING: words that shouldn't be said are featured in this chapter and possibly in the rest of the book

*************

~SEVEN YEARS AGO~

Dan's POV

I winced at the sound of his voice as he shoved me against the lockers. "Hello, Howell," he sneered, flecks of his spit landing on my cheeks. "Just leave me alone," I mumbled. "Aww, you're no fun." He chuckled darkly, and threw me to the floor. All of my books that I had miraculously been able to hold up until then tumbled out of my hands. I coughed when he stomped on my back, and I instinctively curled into a ball. My back was to the lockers, the cold metal pressing against my skin. "Come on, Howell. Let's play!" he urged, grabbing my arm and forcefully tugging me up. I stumbled and fell into him, and he moved aside. I landed hard on the cold floor.

"No, Howell, I won't give you a kiss. I'm not a f*ggot like you," he snarled, kicking me in the head as if to emphasize his point. Black dots danced around in my vision, and I found myself barely holding on to consciousness. Don't go to sleep, Dan. "Hey! Stop!" a voice suddenly called out. "No, Phil," I said weakly. "Don't help me, he'll just hurt you too." He looked back at me and smiled maliciously. "Oh, Howell cares for this Phil." I heard footsteps and a squeak of fear. I felt rough hands propping me up, forcing me to watch.

He pulled Phil closer, just to kick him in the crotch. Phil doubled over in pain, and he pushed him onto the floor. Phil let out a tiny moan of pain, and I winced. "Stop," I cried weakly, my heart aching. He just grinned and continued beating Phil. Finally, he got bored of us and left. I gathered my strength and crawled towards poor Phil, who lay battered and bloodied on the tile. I helped him up as best as I could and wrapped my arm around his shoulders.

"Come on, Phil. Let's go home."