Chapter Eleven: Liar

Charlie dropped me off at my house around nine at night.  I didn't stay at the party after spilling Hannah's punch on her dress.  Erik didn't say anything to me, either.  He hasn't called me, or texted.  I don't know if that's good or bad.  I just shook the thoughts out, and walked up my driveway.  I rummaged through my bag for my keys.  "Hey."  Erik's voice made me jump back a foot.

My hand flew to my chest, and I could feel my heart pounding.  "You are going to give me a heart attack one of these days." I let go of the breath I was holding, and walked up my porch.  "What are you doing here?'

                "Things aren't really good at my house, and you said I could stay whenever."

I smiled a little, and nodded.  "Well, you could have knocked.  My parents would have let you in."

He shook his head, "I wanted to wait for you."

I unlocked the door, and Erik stepped in before me.  I closed the door behind me, and we walked up the stairs.  We closed ourselves in my bedroom, and crowded on my bed.  "What happened?" I asked, pulling my legs against my chest.

                "What hasn't happened?  I'm just glad Bella is with my grandma.  They're just fighting about the house, the cars, even the damn dog."

I reached out, placing a hand on his arm.  "You're not going to go through this alone, Erik.  I can tell you that."

He nodded, a sad smile tugging on his lips.  "I know.  Um, I also have to tell you something."

                "What?"

                "I broke up with Hannah."

It's about time, I wanted to say.  I was honestly shocked.  "Why would you do that?"

                "She made me choose.  She was not worth our friendship."

Friendship.  I hated being in the friend zone. But it was better than nothing.  I don't know what I would do if I lost Erik.  "She'll come crawling back.  You know that."

                "I don't think so.  She was pretty pissed."  I know he didn't want to break up with her, not really.  "I don't see why it matters why you hang out with me.  It's not like you tell her she can't hang out with any of her guy friends."

                "She probably slept with half of them." He muttered.

My eyes widened.  "Did Erik just take a stab at Hannah?"

He shrugged, "It's probably the truth.  I just didn't feel anything when I was with her.  No spark, nothing."

                "You sound like a girl."

He grinned, and playfully pushed me.  "You should know.  You're the girl.  What about you and Charlie?"

I looked at him curiously.  Wondering where this topic was going to.  "What about us?"

                "Is there a connection?"

Now that I've actually thought about it.  "There is."

                "Yeah, I saw it in my kitchen."  He gave me another playful push.  "Thanks for that image, by the way."

It was my turn to push him.  "That was no worse than Hannah attacking you in my kitchen.  You have scarred me for life." I teased.

After an hour of talking, and getting things out in the open, we made our way down the stairs, and outside to the back porch.  I was going to go swimming, but it was a bit too cold and windy.  Erik and I settled on just sitting out here, and continuing our conversation.  "So what did she say to you?"  I relaxed on one of the plush lounge chairs, and Erik sat at my feet.