The Last Hunt

"Thorin, there is a messenger from the Iron Hills."

A guard informed me. I turned to him and threw my feet up on my desk.

"Then send him in."

I replied as I took the pipe from my mouth out. The guard left the small room. I put my pipe back into my mouth and sucked on the tip, I didn't want to light the pipe because of the smell it would create. A young dwarf entered the room. He looked nervous.

"Sir, I'm from the Iron Hills, I have a letter from Dain."

He said in a weak voice. I nodded my head slightly. He gave me the letter with shaky hands. I accepted the letter and read it.

"Dear Cousin Thorin,

It has been a long time since I last saw you. I was thinking about coming up to the Blue Mountains to visit you this summer and meet your two nephews you have been bragging about for the last couple of years. Life up here in the Iron hills is great, my wife Gurna says 'hi'. Can't wait to see you and your new home! Also, this is my new soldier, I would like you to take him under your care, if he's still alive. He should be very nervous and black haired. His name is Floi, take good care of him. Train him like you would train your own.

    Sincerely,
Dain of the Iron Hills"

I read in dwarvish. I looked up to the young dwarf who was still shaky.

"Floi."

I questioned him. He looked eagerly up.

"Yes, sir?"

He replied back. I threw the letter up onto my desk and threw my feet off my desk and onto the floor. I stood up and examined the young dwarf.

"You are going to be living with me, till Dain comes this summer."

I told him as I looked into the small fireplace. I turned back to Floi.

"You will be listening to my every order and proceed through with the orders no matter what, if you have a problem with that, then you can leave."

I ordered with my hoarse voice. He corrected his posture and looked more professional than before. I waited a minute, he didn't move.

"Alright, well let's begin with the questions. Do you have any training in any weapon?"

I asked him. He turned to me and opened his mouth a bit.

"Yes, sir, I am professional with a sword and axe."

He answered respectfully. I nodded a bit. I looked out the small window to see the sun setting, the smoke from the tiny houses began to fill the misty air. I grabbed my sword from off of the desk and put it into the sleeve that was attached to my belt.

"Well, I promised my nephews a hunting trip tomorrow, I hope you can join us, and if not, please stay behind and knit with my sister."

I said humorously. I grabbed my fur coat from off of the coat rack and draped it over my shoulders.

"I'll give you a little tour of where you will be working. When I'm not the lead guardsman, I'm usually working in the blacksmith's shop. My nephew Fili, you'll like him, will help you around as much as you want, but every other day he's a guard here in the Eastern gates."

I explained to him as I grabbed the letter and burnt it in the fire. I then opened the door to two guards standing at their proper stations, near my door. Floi followed me out into the stone hallway. I went up the stairs to the top of the gate where three guards stood ready for anything. I went to the end, Fili stood there with his hand over the tip of his sword that was tucked into the sleeve.