Chapter 58 - Game Changers

Start from the beginning

"Juice," Amelia started but she really didn't know what to say.

"Go, Amelia, just leave, please."

She did as he asked, slamming the door and squealing out of the parking lot despite knowing she was wrong. Before racing out of the lot she cried, gripping the wheel with all her strength and yanking, knowing she could not do any real damage, in an attempt to ease her sorrow and self-hatred.

--

"I can afford to buy this baby his own clothing," Tara snapped when Gemma arrived at her office unexpectedly.

Gemma drew her head back. "Just because you're the crazier of the two doesn't mean I won't be a good grandma to this baby."

"I thought we'd be shunned." Tara rolled her eyes.

"Oh darlin' I didn't say anything about you," Gemma scoffed. "When are you due exactly?"

"A few months," Tara said coolly. She knew better than to give a woman like Gemma too much information, especially since the time lines wouldn't match exactly as they should have.

Gemma eyed her, eyebrows raised high, and started to smile. "That baby really my grandson?"

"Excuse me?" Tara was appalled and she showed it. "What kind of woman do you think I am?"

"The kind that would pay some Mexican to kidnap my granddaughter in some insane attempt to win my son." She took quick steps toward Tara but kept a few feet between them. "If this is some sick game, you're going to be very sorry you played it at all."

Tara swallowed hard, anxious but only until she realized the upper hand she held. "This baby is a Teller and even if he wasn't what would you do?"

"Oh sweetheart, we both know what I have on you."

"That's right." Tara nodded. "You know I paid to have Alice taken, and you've sat on that information for months." She smiled, finally feeling victorious, and shrugged as she handed Gemma the bag of clothing back. "I don't think Jax would be happy to hear about that, do you?"

"I'm his mother, you're just some whore who ruined his life." Gemma spoke confidently, head held high, but she was panicking internally.

"No, I'm the mother of his son," Tara sneered. "I'm giving him his heir to the throne."

Gemma now knew how dangerous Tara was and she knew she had to move quickly and quietly to neutralize, at the very least.

"Mmm, that's right. The newest Prince," Gemma mused.

Beaming with pride, Tara rubbed her belly. "I'm glad you seem to be coming around."

"I've always wanted a grandson," Gemma said with a smile. "I'll check in with you two soon." She gave Tara a hug, a dark expression covering her face while Tara couldn't see, and hurried out of the office.

--

When Amelia got home from Juice's Jax was there with Alice, a big smile on his face. It lessened the ache in her chest but not by much.

"Hey, babe, how are you?" He greeted her warmly but Amelia went directly to the sink. Jax watched as she loaded up the dishwasher and ignored his question. "Amelia?"

"What?" She didn't look at him, her eyes focused on the dishes he'd let pile up. "You need to take that extra five seconds and put the dishes in the washer, Jax. I don't even live here full time and I'm cleaning up after you."

"Amelia," he put Alice in her high chair and stilled Amelia's hands. "What happened? This is not about dishes."

"I'm tired," she sighed, her voice cracking. "I am so fucking tired."