Chapter 32 - Truth or Dare

"Love is seldom - almost never - an even proposition. Someone always loves more." - Emily Griffin

--

Amelia and Jax raced through the halls of Saint Thomas to be greeted by Clay and, sadly, Tara. "Everyone is safe," she said calmly. "Alice is perfectly fine." She said with a bright smile as if their history was all but erased from their minds. "As far as I hear, of course, since I can't treat her." There was a tinge of bitterness in her voice, even a bit of exasperation as if Amelia's feelings were not warranted, but Jax nor Amelia made an issue of it. All they wanted was to see Alice. "But I am treating Gemma, she requested that I be the one to treat her." Tara's chest puffed out with pride. "She's got a bump on the head and a few bruises but other than that she's just fine. She's down the hall if you'd like to see her."

"What about Alice? Any bumps or cuts?" Amelia asked, not truly worried about Gemma in the least.

"Like I said, I'm not treating Alice, she's on the third floor, pediatrics."

"Go," Clay nodded at Jax, "I'll tell her you're here."

Tara watched as Jax and Amelia went, hand in hand, off to see their daughter. Not long after, Juice and Chibs arrived, huddling with Clay while they waited for Gemma and understanding that Alice took priority.

Jax and Amelia hurried to the third floor to find Alice's doctor jotting something in her chart right outside her room. "Your daughter is perfect." He said with a bright smile. "She's very lucky, not even the beginnings of dehydration, they were on the side of the road for a few hours, off in a ditch," The doctor explained. "We checked her out, head, heart, everything. If they didn't tell me she was in a wreck, I wouldn't have ever thought it."

"Hours?" Amelia gasped. "Can we see her?" She asked desperately.

The doctor nodded and opened the door to Alice's room. She hadn't been admitted but with her history they brought her right out of the ER. Amelia raced in, Jax not far behind, and gently cuddled Alice, holding her close, as she cried silent, overjoyed tears.

"Thank God," Amelia whispered as she littered Alice's cheeks with kisses, her face turning into a grimace as she took a deep breath smelling Alice's hair. "She smells like smoke and antiseptic."

"We'll give her a bath when we get her home." Jax said as he pressed his lips to his daughter's forehead noticing too the strength of the smell. "I'm so sorry, Ally girl."

"You need to find out what happened."

"I will," he said firmly as he comforted not only Alice but Amelia as well. "I'll find out who," he growled.

"I want to go," Amelia said with a heavy sigh. "I want to take her far away from here, Jackson."

His jaw was tight as their blue eyes met over Alice's head. "I know, we will. I just gotta find out who this was, they're not getting away with this shit."

"Go," she sighed, "We'll get married later, when all this is settled."

"Yeah, we will." Leaving them each with a kiss, Jax charged out of the room and off to find the rest of the club members who had gathered at Saint Thomas. He sent Juice up, worried that they had no clue who would have gone after Gemma and Alice, to keep an eye and be sure nothing else happened to his girls.

"Guess you won't put her down for a few days, huh?" He asked with a goofy smirk as he entered the hospital room, Alice's car seat in hand. "They gave this to Jax so you can take her home but they said you gotta replace as soon as possible."

"Thank you," she smiled. "You on protection detail?"

"Yeah, Jax told me to keep you safe."

"I was so scared," she whispered.