Chapter 23 - Getting Your Ducks In A Row

"I promise you, these storms are only trying to wash you clean." - Jessica Katoff

--

"Are we all settled now?" The mediator asked, annoyed, as Lowen and Opie entered room again, not long after Mae and Donna, and sat at their assigned places.

"I'm ready." She said curtly. "Rosen is picking up a few documents I think will help prove my client and Miss Callahan has nothing but a working relationship."

"Well then, we can continue until he returns." Donna's lawyer said coolly as she shuffled her papers. "Before the break it was mentioned that Mr. Winston had stayed at your home, Miss Callahan. That did happen?"

"It did."

"And Mr. Winston stayed on the couch?"

"Yes, he did."

"And what was his reasoning for staying with you rather than the aforementioned apartment?"

Mae's fingers curled up in anger. "I think that question is more appropriate for Harry to answer but his friend was having issues and had to stay at the clubhouse."

There was a short knock on the door seconds before Rosen entered with a smile, Mae's coworker Kylie behind him, and Mae felt her heart quicken.

"I'm sorry I was late," he pulled out the empty chair for Kylie. "I wasn't able to get a statement notarized so I thought bringing the witness was the next best thing."

Opie noticed Mae's panicked look and wondered what the young woman could have to say that was so concerning.

"And this is?" Donna's lawyer asked highly concerned this woman could change the entire tone of the deposition.

"Kylie Masterman." Rosen smiled. "She's the receptionist at California Prison Focus, where my client works."

"And what baring does she have on the point of this deposition?"

"A very telling conversation she had with my client just the other day."

Mae's panic was indeed well founded, this was what she was worried about, she looked at Opie with apologetic eyes as they had Kylie state her name and sign a few forms. At the time of the conversation, Mae didn't feel she was pushing it but thinking back she realized she did not have to be as harsh as she was about Opie.

"And what exactly did Miss Callahan have to say about the men and women you work with at CPF?"

Chuckling, still slightly amused by the conversation, Kylie recounted the talk. "I was saying how I thought she liked him but she said she didn't, made a face like she was grossed out by the idea and she said she doesn't get involved with convicts or parolees."

"Did she say why?" Rosen asked.

"She said stuff before, a few months back, about not being able to trust some of them. They lie a lot," Kylie shrugged, "And I've seen her go out on a limb for a few when I first started but she got burned so I think it kind of made her cautious."

"None of this means her opinion couldn't change." Donna's lawyer interrupted.

"She said she wasn't seeing him." Kylie said very matter-of-factly. "She denied even being attracted to him. I know Mae," she added, "She wouldn't get involved with a married man, I would," she laughed, "Mae wouldn't though."

"Was he ever around the office for any reason other than his work at the mill? Did he come in randomly for personal reasons?"

"No," Kylie shook her head. "He didn't seem personable either. When they try to charm us they're usually talkative and boastful, he was always bland."