Chapter 39 - The Start of Something New

"I was the one who loved you even when you gave me thousands of reasons not to." - Bruno Mars

--

Leaning on his elbow, Opie watched as Mae slept. It wasn't long enough to be creepy but when she awoke she jumped back at the sight of his green eyes locked onto her.

"Oh, hey stalky."

"Sorry," he laid back down on his side close to her. "I really don't want to leave this damn bed."

Mae nodded, her cheeks growing puffy as she felt a stronger urge to cry. "We won't be seeing each other for a few weeks right? Too busy getting settled?"

"Yeah," he pouted. "We're having a party in about a month, you can come down for that and help me unpack. My house is going to look like a shit hole until you get to it."

"Oh, so I'm the hired help?" She asked crawling on top of him as if she could keep him from leaving. "How sweet." Wriggling her hips she squealed as he rolled her onto her back and kissed her fervently.

"I'm going to miss you," she said as he went to pull of her panties. "Ope, really, I am."

Her tiny whimpered words and sniffles broke his heart. "I'm going to miss you too," he sighed. "You're the only goddamn peace I get." He stroked her cheek.

"Love me, Ope. Please?" she pouted knowing he would no matter what.

As Opie left Mae's later that morning, dreary-eyed and sullen, Jax was just arriving in Vegas. Amelia didn't sleep, she was normally a night owl but with Alice and Jax gone she could focus on nothing but the wellbeing of her child.

Spending the night unpacking one room and one room only, the nursery, by the time the sun rose Amelia was a sobbing mess in the rocking chair. Without the usual Harley grumbles announcing his arrival, Jax was able to park and sneak into the house, thinking Amelia was sleeping, without her realizing. Hearing her cries as he walked through the hall Jax moved quickly to find her.

He turned into the nursery, Alice sleeping against his chest, to find her in the glider. "Look who's home, Meely," he beamed proudly.

Amelia gasped, startled both by his presence and the sight of their red headed daughter in his arms, and ran to him. "Ally," she whispered, "Oh my Alice." Without so much as a look at Jax she scooped her daughter into her arms and held her tight. "Jackson," she finally made eye contact with him. "You brought her home. Thank you."

"Did you doubt it?" He smirked as he pulled Amelia and Alice into his arms. "I love you girls." He was much more serious now. "No one is going to hurt you."

Amelia nodded silently, listening to the sound of Alice's breathing as she slept, and kissed the top of the child's head.

"I'm tired," she whispered.

"We all are," he wouldn't admit she cried a good portion of the ride home. "Let's sleep."

He ushered them into the master bedroom, bare aside from their king sized bed and a pile of clothing, and stripped down into boxers and a sleeveless undershirt.

Smiling, Jax watched as Amelia climbed right into bed, cuddling Alice close, and quickly fell asleep. He joined them, his arm draped over Amelia as Alice laid between them, and followed suit falling asleep moments later.

Jax found himself sleeping that way every night for the next four weeks. He didn't mind it, he actually quite enjoyed it after the ordeal they suffered through, and he could see how Amelia needed it.

"You going to have her at the party tonight?" Jax asked nonchalantly as reentered their bedroom after making Alice a bottle.

"Who else could watch her?" Amelia asked, just as casually.