Chapter 62 - The Cost

"What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it's supposed to be." - Unknown

Mae had been gone going on a few hours. At first, Kylie didn't even realize but it was glaringly evident when her phone buzzed on the bar beside her now warm beer.

"Shit, what time did Mae leave?" She asked Half-Sack, controlling her worry until it was truly clear something had happened.

He shrugged. "An hour? Maybe two? Check her phone for the text, she left right after that chick told her to pick her up."

It took a few tries but eventually Kylie figured out her pin; Mae and Opie's anniversary. Immediately she checked the texts Kylie knew it was time to worry.

"She's been gone for two hours, Kip."

"Let's go," he hopped over the bar. "The address still in her phone?"

"Yeah," Kylie grabbed his hand. "Just us? Should we take someone."

Half-Sack looked around the clubhouse, most of the guys were drunk but he knew he'd hear from Clay if he didn't at least tell someone else.

"Tig," he called out. "We got a problem."

"Prospect, I can't help you with your missing nut."

"Mae, Opie's old lady, she's," he paused, unsure of what to really call it, "She's missing. She went to pick someone up and she just never came back."

"Ah shit," he pounded his beer. "Let's go. Drive around for a bit, make sure she didn't get lost or in some kind of accident."

"Then?" Kylie asked as she hurried behind Half-Sack and Tig. "If we don't find her?"

"Then we call Ope," he groaned. "And get serious."

--

After showering, Amelia was wide awake as she stretched out in bed alone. The exhaustion she'd worked up over her shift had been washed away with the grit and grime of her last crime scene.

"What the fuck?" She whipped the blankets off of her realizing she had grown too accustomed to having Jax in bed with her. "And it begins."

Pulling herself out of bed, Amelia pulled her robe on and headed to Alice's room but Jax wasn't there. She thought it was odd but continued to look for him throughout the house. She found a note on the front door that brought a smile to her lips.

"Went for a ride to clear my head. I love you."

"Looks like I'm not the only one who can't sleep."

Grabbing a beer from the fridge she sat at the table and enjoyed the quiet. There were a few problems she'd been ignoring, her guilt over hurting Juice was one but the biggest was the fact that she and Jax weren't married. The situation was different now, if they did split she knew it would most likely be more amicable but the lie is what bothered her. Jax had been working to make things right, he'd been doing so much better, but being dishonest was subconsciously holding her back from moving forward with him.

"And then there's the lie about Juice." She felt her face growing hot as she fought the urge to cry. "Shit," she sniffled hearing a bike coming down to the end of their cul-de-sac. Blotting her eyes she moved to greet Jax at the door but much to her surprise Juice stumbled up the path toward her.

"I'm sorry," he slurred. "I had to see you."

"You're drunk," she sighed. "Really drunk."

"I love you," he pouted, batting his puppy dog eyes at her. "Fuck Jax, Amelia, please."