Chapter 2 - Revisiting the Past

"This doesn't feel as shitty," Half-Sack mumbled as he began hooking up the car to the giant chains. "If you don't want to get towed don't park in a no parking zone. Repos, that shit sucks, but I kind of like screwing these people."

"Repos are good for business but it does suck."

"No," Mae raced down the street toward Opie and Sack. "Please, please, please, I'm sorry! Don't tow my car!"

Sack rolled his eyes but didn't even think of stopping as the young woman, wearing little yellow sundress, pleaded with Opie from afar. He smiled a bit as she reached them.

"Wait," she stopped and scrunched her eyes. "I remember you."

"I remember you too, Sack leave it. She's cool." Nervously he fiddled with his beanie as Half-Sack began unhooking her car. "Prisoner Advocate Mae, right?"

She nodded and rolled her eyes with a pouty smile. "Is that that what you guys called me, 'The Prisoner Advocate'?"

"No," Opie let out a deep chuckle, "They definitely didn't call you that."

"Guess I don't want to know what they called me," she shrugged. "Thank you so much for this. I'm having a shitful day."

"It's fine. Just don't make em' call us again." His emerald eyes darted to Hanna's where two older women who worked the day shift watched from he counter. "They're sticklers," he joked.

"How are you?" She closed her eyes, "Sorry, Henry, right?"

Sack laughed from the can of the truck but was easily silenced by a solid thud to his door. "No, just call me Opie."

Mae beamed and nodded. "Okay Opie, so how are you?"

"I'm out," he said casually, "So I'm good."

"That's great. You know," she began digging through her purse. "I know a lot of different awesome post release opportunities. If you're looking for more work or help readjusting, tons of stuff." Handing him her card, gripping his hand for a moment or two, Mae smiled sweetly and unlocked her car with the remote. "It was nice to see you. I'm glad you're out, Opie."

Slipping the card into his pocket, Opie nodded and shut her door once she slid into the driver's seat. "Thanks, me too."

"Alright," she said with a tinge of sadness. "Maybe I'll see you around."

He nodded and watched as she drove off, Sack waiting eagerly for the full story, before jumping into the truck again. "Who was that?"

Opie grunted and started the engine. "She works for some prison reform thing." The look on Sack's face was clear and Opie rolled his eyes. "Shut up, prospect. Ain't like that, don't get excited."

"She's pretty." His shoulders bounced as he giggled.

"Yeah, she is," he smiled slightly. "And that's why they called her the Spunk Mistress," he spoke with a disgusted groan after being reminded of the very worst parts of Chino.

"No Penthouse Forum type shit?" Opie gave him a swift smack to the back of the head for the question and that was the end of the conversation.

--

Already seeing Jax's bike was not in the usual lineup as she parked, Amelia debated even climbing out into the scorching heat with Alice. It was a miserable day, the dangerous heatwave had been oppressing California and showed no signs of letting up. Noticing her brother heading to the garage from the tow truck, Amelia pushed herself out to see him, he'd been distant since his release from Chino and now he had no excuse not to talk to her.