Chapter 40 - Preparing For Battle

"Nothing makes me happier and nothing makes me sadder than you." - Nicole Krauss

--

When Mae arrived home the next morning she stripped and jumped in the shower, washing off her heavy makeup and working the product from her hair with a thick lather. Even after she was clean, she remained under the water rolling her neck and stretching her back until she felt the temperature dip. Toweling off she pulled some boy short underwear and a cami on to unpack her suitcase.

"So much for my weekend," she sniffled as her phone vibrated on the vanity.

"Are you home safe?"

"I am."

"I'm sorry I never told you. I needed a break from it all and that break was you."

"Are you really trying to have this conversation with me over text?"

"You're the one that left."

"Blame me. Fine. But I'm not the one keeping secrets. When you're ready to talk, like an adult, let me know."

Opie grumbled, tossing his phone on the couch, and headed across the street to his sister and Jax's. He knocked, surprised to see Jax's bike gone, but not doubting Amelia was home. She wouldn't have crashed at the clubhouse, not with Alice at home with the nanny, Becca.

"Can we talk?" He asked as Amelia opened the door.

"Good morning to you too," she said allowing him into the house. "What's up? Did I screw your shit up real bad with Mae?"

He rolled his eyes and huffed, throwing himself down at the small table in the Florida room. "It's not you," he admitted. "Just juice," he said as she pointed to the coffee maker, a bottle of vodka and a pint of orange juice.

"What happened?" She asked joining him with coffee to help her hangover.

"She didn't know shit all about you or Ally." He said sadly. "I wanted to keep her away, clear of the club, she's not like you and Gem or even Donna."

"You think she's sweet and innocent and pure?" Amelia asked without any type of negative attitude or a mocking tone.

He covered his face, mortified, and nodded. "Yeah, I mean, I know she's not some virgin or something." When Amelia laughed he shot her a warning look. "I don't know how to explain it."

"I think I know what you mean." Amelia frowned. "And it's super sweet, you big fuckin' softie, but she works with felons, and she's with you, she's not exactly prim and proper."

"Yeah, but she ain't an old lady."

"Wait, I thought you were moving in that direction."

"I mean, yeah, but she isn't a typical old lady. She sure as shit ain't Gemma or you."

"You keep saying that like its a bad thing." She gave him a playful punch to the shoulder. "I'm fucking awesome."

Opie smiled and nodded. "Yeah, yeah, you're the goddamn best," he sighed rolling his eyes. "But you know what I mean. I need that break, she was-"

"A fantasy." Amelia said with exasperation. "Ope, you knew getting into this that wasn't going to last. It's new and she's refreshing but that's not life. Do you want the hard shit with her? Is she someone you want to fight with and get mad at then have really crazy passionate makeup sex with?"

Opie groaned with disgust. "You're my little sister, Meels."

"We're adults, we both have children and that means, oh my god, Ope, we're not virgins." She rolled her eyes. "I didn't say anything graphic. Stop making excuses and talk, that's why you came over isn't it?"