Chapter 57 - A Little Extra On The Side

"Some men die under the mountain just looking for gold. Some die looking for a hand to hold." - Jesse Lacey/Brand New

Still feeling the sting from her fight with Juice, when Jax arrived the next morning with Alice she could hardly muster much genuine excitement. She wore jeans, as usual, and a black scoop neck fitted t-shirt but her feet were bare as she greeted Jax and their daughter.

"What's wrong?" He asked, petting her cheek as she took Alice into her arms.

She couldn't tell him about Juice, she couldn't even tell him she had been seeing anyone as it would pique his interest in a dangerous manner so she lied. "Nothing," she nuzzled Alice. "Just didn't sleep well up here, sometimes it's creepy you know?"

"Can be," he agreed to reassure her. "Did you have anything you wanted to do today?"

She rolled her eyes and sighed. "I thought you had this whole thing planned out."

"Oh, I do, but you know, I'm flexible if you had an idea."

"No," she gathered her things with one hand, slipping her flats on, while Alice tugged at her hair. "Whatever you have planned is fine."

"Alright, let's go, girls."

Amelia didn't ask where they were going and Jax didn't offer the information but she smiled as they parked, knowing exactly where he had taken them. "Oh Jax," she sighed. "This is very sweet."

He shrugged, not wanting to get too full of himself, and slipped out of the driver's side. Lodi Lake Park was a calculated move, one that had good intentions, but Amelia couldn't enjoy it despite wanting to take Alice there for as long as she could remember.

"I think she's still a bit tiny for swimming." Amelia remarked.

"Good, cause I didn't bring anything but this," he looked down at his jeans and sneakers. "Next time though," he winked. "Maybe we'll come after dark just us."

She clenched her teeth to keep from smiling. "That's how I got arrested, the first time."

"It was fun though," he chuckled. "Lighten up."

"Is that a basket?" She asked eagerly while pulling Alice out of the backseat. "Like a picnic basket?"

"It is, but I just threw shit from the fridge in there, I didn't go making sandwiches or anything."

She smiled at that and shrugged, impressed by the minimal effort, but still refused to hold his hand as they walked up the path to the park. "It's the thought that counts, as they say."

"It is," he winked. "You sure you're just tired? You've been lookin' real good Meely but today, not so much."

"Oh," she laughed. "Thanks. I guess you're not exactly the charmer I remember Jackson."

"Amelia," they stopped under a large Willow tree. "What I meant was you seemed happy and now you don't. I'm just hoping it ain't cause you're with me.

Her shoulder's slumped as she sat, leaning against the tree with Alice sitting in her lap. "Not exactly," she sighed. "I was, seeing someone, I guess, talking to him, whatever, and he isn't thrilled about family time."

"Who?" Immediately he was tense, defensive, and subconsciously his body prepared for a fight.

"Jax, that is not the point," she huffed. "Besides, after this I'm not sure where we stand."

"So this guy made you happy?" He asked harshly. "Guess that's why I barely recognized you?"

"Can we not do this?" She asked pleadingly. "I came with you because this is important, I pissed him off to do this, so please, don't make me regret it."