Sixteen

To someone I loved,

My confession has changed more things between us than I thought it would. I am not sure of what you think of me now. Am I still considered your friend? Or am I just that girl from class? You haven't spoken to me for the past few days. I was glad to have told you the day before the weekend. It would give me time to rethink my actions and how to act around you when you came back. It would also give you time to forget what I said. There are many things I am glad to have said but regret saying at the same time. What I told you that day falls into this category.

I've been told that I should be proud to know that I've done what others haven't been able to do before. I've been told that I should be glad that I have one less secret to hold. I've been told that I should be ecstatic to know that I've finally told my crush I liked him for the first time. I've been told plenty of thing by a variety of people. Some are positive messages, while some aren't on the bright side. I'm not sure which side has a heavier weight. Should I aim for the light or cower in the shadows?

The answer may be obvious to you. But to me, it might be one of the most important decisions I'll ever make. By hiding in the shadows, I don't place used in risky situations and I know I'm safe. On the other hand, if I aim towards the light, a door could possibly opened. I'm being sent mixed signals. I'm not sure what to do and everyone is saying the same thing over and over again. They say to do whatever your heart tells you to do. That's where it stops. My heart can't tell me anything. It's burst wide open, and it's bleeding. I could wait for time to heal it or I could reach out and mend it. With each option comes numerous consequences and a different path to be paved. So which path do I take? The road is covered and the paths are unpredictable.

With love,

someone who has to choose a path