23: Darkest Night pt. 2

~*~Joker’s Point Of View~*~

Eva’s hand loosened and fell from mine, causing me to turn back and look at her. She was dead. Killed instantly from a shot from one of the guards.

Anger swelled inside of me as I realized there was nothing I could do. I cursed and fled the scene without her. If anything, if she still had an ounce of life still in her, they’d help her recover.

But we all knew the truth. She was gone, and it was my fault.

I was the one who pressured her into the job she did not want to do. I was the one who pried her from her desire to raise our child, who was now motherless, and if I went even more insane from the loss of her, fatherless. 

I destroyed the plants at my front door. If she could not live, then the plants couldn’t fucking live, either. Nothing could. I picked up my gun and shot three henchmen in the main room, blood pooling around their cold, useless corpses as I walked up the stairs, unloading my gun into the ceiling before throwing it off the stairs and onto one of the dead henchmen. When I found Gwen, her face was terrified, as my actions made her assume the worst. 

At one look I gave her, I knew she figured out what happened.

There was no bubbly Evangeline at my side, laughing and poking me, holding my hand or adorably throwing one of her tantrums because I refused to give her something she wanted. No, I didn’t have the blue haired beauty, the woman who completed me and gave me everything I lacked. I had me, myself and I, like it was at the beginning of my journey. I looked at Gwen grimly.

“Take care of my son,” I whispered. 

“What are you doing?”

“Does it fucking matter?” I laughed harshly, throwing my hands up for emphasis, causing her to cringe. “My wife is dead! Who the FUCK cares?!” I shouted, causing Kellen to shrink up into Gwen’s shoulder. I stopped screaming, I didn’t want my son to have to see his father leave a crazy, broken man, even though it was obvious that was what I was now.

God, I had so many more ideas for this city! I was going to make it fucking burn. BURN.

I destroyed fifty homes, several blocks of them, laughing as I allowed all my might to crash upon them. I broke the banks apart piece by piece, without giving a single fuck about all the money or valuables they held. Nothing was as valuable as her. Nothing else mattered.

Gotham City was practically weeping at my feet, my fury touched every single area in a matter of hours, and I was completely victorious over Gotham, but that did not even matter.

My life’s goal, did not matter, because I did not have that woman next to me. The one who would be cheering and clinging onto me right now. The one who would be helping me, supporting my every decision, even if she did not enjoy it.

I shouted in anger and set fire to a tree, I watched it burn and die, I watched as it disappeared. The cops were after me, and they were surrounding me, but I didn’t care. I held out my arms and waited for a bullet to the head. Something, but I got nothing. I opened my eyes and turned to see a cop starting to put handcuffs around my wrists. I chuckled darkly.

“This is my punishment? Why didn’t you just kill me?” I growled angrily, the predator inside me wanting to end all the lives of everyone here.

The cops did not answer. They just threw me in the back of a black car, Batman’s car, and drove me to Arkham Asylum. Batman’s worried eyes kept looking in the rearview mirror, I let out a howl of laughter once I noticed.

“Worried, Bats? About little old me? I’m flattered!” 

He didn’t answer for a moment. Words seemed to fail him. “I’ve just never seen you like this. . . . Is it because of Caerulea–“

“Don’t you mention her to me,” I growled fiercely. 

And just like that, I spiraled into madness deeper than ever before.