16: Fatality

“I told you not to do this!”

I laughed softly and set my hand on the floor, propping myself into a sitting position, everything around me blurring so terribly that I could not even make out the two men in front of me.

I fell back onto my side and closed my eyes.

Who cared if I got hurt by lying down in the middle of the battle?

“You need to be quiet,” I murmured softly, tasting an irony mixture in my saliva that threatened to spill out of the corner of my mouth. “Before I get up and do something else.”

“God forbid,” I heard the words come out of Batman’s mouth, and I laughed once more.

“You. . . . .Have lost your morals from impatience. . . .” I gasped out as my hand lightly brushed the gaping wound on my side. “Not only did you nearly slice me in half. . . .You scare or hurt the innocent to get to the guilty.”

There was a silence from both men, as I sat up once more, but I stayed firm, my words giving me back the adrenaline I needed to stay conscious. 

“You are feared by many,” I coughed up a ball of blood. “Because you do not regret decisions.” 

“You’re wrong,” Batman replied, I could finally make out his appearance, and my husband’s as well. I held my hand out towards Jack, he helped me up and kept me steady in his arms. 

“The tone you used says otherwise,” I coughed up more blood, which, this time I aimed at Batman. “Joker, why aren’t you saying anything?”

“I-.. . . . .” He stopped attempting to speak after uttering that simple, small mumble, and it was all because his voice wavered once he tried to say something. I let the issue go, and put my hand on his.

“Lay me down, and fight. I’ll be fine.” my eyes were starting to close.

“Don’t lie to him,” Batman spoke. “I’ll help you if he goes to Arkham.”

“I won’t let you help me, then,” I simply stated. “Now, put me down.”

“Don’t be like this!” Batman shouted. “You have a child!”

“And you’re the one who took him away from me,” I laughed darkly. “I know who you are. . . .Ah, I never expected you’d be the one who would take a parent away from a child. You out of all people. . . .”

Joker’s arms tensed. “Why didn’t you tell me his identity?”

“You always tell me you don’t want to know. ‘People aren’t always who you think they are, my dear’. . . .”

I felt my body gradually touch the ground, slowly my head was rested upon the cold wooden floor. I smirked softly to myself, already knowing what would happen next. I was quickly taken into a pair of stronger arms. In five long minutes, I was on a cold table.

“You help her, don’t let her see you.”

“Alright, sir,” I heard the voice of an elder man. I smirked. 

“Your weakness is easy to find, Bruce.” I laughed loudly. 

“Be quiet,” he growled, then left to fight Joker. I was not going to let Joker fight alone, I had to-

“Relax. You won’t get any better if you tense up like that,” my side started to sting, I let out a long sigh.

“He won’t kill him, so I guess you are right, Alfred.”

“Why do you think that Batman is Bruce?”

“He is the only man in Gotham who is filthy rich. How else could Batman get his things?”

“Charity?”

“Batman doesn’t accept charity.”

“You are smarter than everyone thinks you are.”

I laughed softly, letting myself slip into the darkness. “Oh, I know.”